Chapter 12: My two-year-old daughter

Lily's POV

I tried staying calm, I tried controlling my energy, I tried staying absolutely still. But I couldn't do any of that when I suddenly heard the bedroom door open again, and my worst fear happening.

"Mommy?"

The monster moved violently and I feared it got triggered.

I opened my eyes, trying to get a view of the scene. I noticed the monster still on top of me, though it was looking at little Emily. I couldn't quite make out what was going through the monster's mind. But I couldn't risk anything.

"Mommy?" Emily started sobbing, clearly afraid of the terrifying sight she was witnessing. "Mommy!" She started screaming.

I looked at her. "Go back to bed, honey."

The monster then looked at me, and its blood-red eyes got even darker. I literally felt like prey in its claws.

"Emily, go to bed," I said as I kept my eyes onto the monster. "Mommy will be alright." I gulped, almost tearing up. I wasn't even sure I was going to get out of this alive...

Emily walked out of the room, she didn't close the door. I bet she was hesitant to leave me alone in this situation.

Knowing that Emily was gone and that I was here all alone with this monster, I truly felt like I was about to die.

I gulped. Should I say something? Last time that worked for Vamrin form. But Catherine told me that the Bloodborn form isn't going to spare anything or anyone. I'd die. I knew I would.

I gulped again. "I love you, haewa." I tried fighting the tears which were hard to keep in. Knowing I was about to die, knowing I'd never see Emily grow up, knowing Catherine will go down like Vernon... It truly broke my heart.

Unexpectedly, Emily came back. "Edaed, zaezzes!"

I looked from Emily to the monster, who got off me to walk to Emily.

"Emily, go away," I started sobbing. "Please!"

The monster stood almost in front of Emily but, despite that, Emily didn't seem scared. She seemed determined, determined to protect me. I knew Catherine would've done the same thing if she had had the chance to save her mother back then.

"Emily, please." I sobbed.

Emily looked at the monster. "Edaed, zaezzes!" She repeated the same sentence, a sentence I couldn't understand the meaning of. I did figure that 'zaezzes' refers to Catherine. But this wasn't Catherine we were talking to.

Surprisingly, the monster didn't attack Emily, it seemed to listen.

"Edaed," Emily repeated, though this time a bit softer. She sounded sad, or disappointed. "Edaed."

I gulped, looking at this scene from a distance. I wanted to help Emily, I wanted to protect her against the monster. But I didn't know what to do. "Emily?"

Emily looked at me and, gently, she walked to me. When she was near the bed, she raised her arms for me to take her.

When I had her in my arms, I hugged her tightly. Finally, my baby girl was with me, in my arms. Though I'm unsure if we're safe here. "What now?" I found myself asking help from my 2-year-old daughter, who seemed to know how to handle the monster.

Emily looked at the monster. "Kae."

The monster groaned but suddenly left the room.

Emily then smiled, she looked at me. "Zaezzes sleep," She then hugged me. "She good."

I smiled relieved and hugged her back. "That's good," I then laid down with Emily in my arms. "Thank you."

"Love you." She smiled at me.

I smiled back at her. I caressed her tiny face, I was so thankful for her. She saved my life, I knew she did. I wonder if she knew what she had done for me... "I love you too," I kissed her forehead. "Forever and always."

__________________________

The next morning, I opened my eyes and noticed Emily sleeping in my arms. We had fallen asleep eventually, it seems. And Catherine was still gone, I wonder where she had gone to.

I looked at Emily again. "Honey," I said quietly. "Wakey wakey." I gently shook her awake.

Emily yawned and then stretched. "Tired."

"I know you are," I pulled her in my arms and got up. "A nice breakfast will help you wake up."

Emily opened her eyes and, when she saw I was carrying her downstairs, was giggling. She loved it when I carried her. "Zaezzes."

I looked up, seeing Catherine sit at the dining table. The dining table was filled with breakfast items: croissants, baguettes, bread, eggs, cereal...

Emily was reaching out for Catherine, but I wouldn't let her near Catherine just yet.

I sat down with Emily on my lap. "What do you want to eat, honey?"

Emily looked from me to the many choices she had. She then pointed to the eggs. 

"Eggs, it is," I took the eggs and put the plate in front of me. I started feeding Emily pieces, and she ate them enthusiastically. "Is it good, honey?"

Emily nodded while eating more. "Yummy!"

I smiled and continued feeding Emily the eggs until she had finished her breakfast. Then I gave her a glass of milk, so she was done. 

I then got up and carried her to the living room. "Will you watch some tv, honey?"

Emily looked at me and I knew she understood the situation. My 2-year-old daughter understood adult issues, she understood her mom's forms, she understood it all... It both surprised and upset me.

Emily simply nodded, she clearly just wanted to please me.

"Good," I then turned on the tv on her favorite channel. "We'll join soon, after breakfast."

Emily nodded.

I then walked back to the kitchen and sat down at the table, in front of Catherine. I didn't look at her, I couldn't look at her. I felt angry with her, I felt upset, I felt unsafe. And I didn't want to feel this way with her, my wife.

Catherine didn't say anything, she was looking down. She seemed ashamed, even though she didn't know what had happened. She probably guessed about what might have happened. And that saddened me too: Catherine wasn't to blame, she didn't know what was going on.

I sighed. "You didn't hurt me, or Emily."

When I had said that, Catherine let out a relieved sigh. It's now that I noticed tears streaming down her face, she must feel guilty.

"I'm scared, Catherine," I said truthfully. "I..." I paused, looking away. "I love you so much, but I fear for my life."

In the corner of my eyes, I saw Catherine look down and cry more.

"If it weren't for Emily..." I looked down.

I felt Catherine look at me. "What about Emily?"

I sniffled and wiped my tears away. "Emily saved me," I then looked up at her, facing her for the first time since the incident. "She managed to get your Bloodborn form away from me."

"How?" Catherine seemed very interested.

"She said some words in your language," I then looked down. "She stayed with me the whole night. She saved me, my little girl had to save me from her mother," I then looked up at Catherine. "What's going on?"

Catherine got up and sat down next to me. "I don't know," She gulped. I knew she was lying, I knew she knew what was happening. And Vernon even warned me about it! "All I know is that I'm going to make sure you're safe. I don't want you to get hurt."

I nodded, even though I didn't believe her anymore.