Chapter 27: Rejected

Lily's POV

"Catherine shuts herself to you and everyone else because she can feel that her successor, and her downfall, is getting closer."

I frowned. "But you're still alive," I said to which he seemed taken back. "I mean, if what you're saying is true, Catherine would've killed you when she took over as the Mother Superior."

Vernon nodded.

"But you're still alive." I said, once again hoping he'd get the hint.

"And that's where Marianne's line fits," He said, giving me a look. "That's how I am different compared to my bloodline. Never before has a Superior killed its one true love. I removed myself so Catherine didn't have to."

"But you're here now."

He nodded, looking down. "I know."

I gulped. I then looked away. This was all too much to handle. Why couldn't they be normal? "So Catherine's building a wall around herself to protect herself against Emily?"

Vernon nodded.

"But Emily's only 2 years old, she couldn't harm Catherine, even if she wanted to."

Vernon then gave me a look. "So your little girl has never shown any signs of wanting to get rid of Catherine?"

"No," I said confidently, then I stopped and thought about it. "She does act protective when Catherine's with me," I then looked at Vernon, who seemed proud that his explanation was getting true. "But Emily told me she had to do that, because you told her."

Vernon nodded. "I did."

I was confused then. "I don't understand."

"Emily needs to protect you against Catherine's condition. If there's anyone that can save you, it's her. No matter the age," He paused. "So yes, I did tell her to protect you."

I looked away.

"But if Emily is shutting Catherine out or fighting against Catherine, that's her destiny."

I looked at him again. "So what you're saying is that my daughter will murder my wife?" I then gulped, trying to fight the tears that were forming. Just the thought of Emily murdering Catherine... It broke my heart.

"Catherine will get killed by or because of Emily, that's just how our bloodline works."

"Why?" I got up then, I couldn't sit down anymore. I was upset, and angry and just confused. I didn't want this. I didn't want to raise a child that would grow up to murder my wife. "Why is your bloodline and your kind so messed up?!"

Vernon got up too and sighed. "I know it's a lot to take in but - " 

"A lot to take in?!" I shouted, I couldn't help it. "If my daughter will murder my wife, I'd rather not have a daughter at all!" I stormed off, towards the front door.

"Lily, wait!" Vernon ran after me but, as soon as I left the house, he stopped. He couldn't leave the house, or he'd die. "Lily, come back!"

But I wouldn't go back, I went straight home.

_________________________

Third person's POV

Marianne had been drying off the clean dishes before putting them back in the cupboards. She was humming alongside the sounds of Emily's storybook.

Emily giggled every time a new sound came on and Marianne was humming and sometimes dancing. She clapped her hands when the sounds were done, and so when Marianne was done humming and/or dancing.

At some point, Emily put the book away. "Are you done with your story, Emi?" Marianne asked as she put the plates away. She noticed Emily getting up and walking away. "Emi?" She walked after Emily and noticed Emily walking to the front door. "What's wrong?"

Then, Lily entered the house. She pulled off her coat and hung it away, she let her hand go through her hair, and Marianne could immediately see that something had happened.

"Mommy," Emily put her hands in the air, motioning to Lily to pull her up. But when Lily didn't react, Emily started jumping up a bit. "Mommy?" 

Lily shook her head before going up the stairs. A few moments later, Marianne heard a door being shut harshly.

Emily was frozen in place, upset by what she had just witnessed. Her little arms slowly went back down as she was looking at the stairs with puppy eyes.

"Hey," Marianne said, kneeling down to be on Emily's eye level. "Your mommy probably had a hard day, this has got nothing to do with you."

Emily looked from the stairs to Marianne. Her eyes were filled with sadness, she felt horrible. And Marianne knew why that was: Emily felt rejected. Rejected not only by her mother, but also by her number 1 potential. A pain Marianne couldn't even begin to understand.

"Why don't we play some more?" Marianne tried, wanting to pull Emily up but Emily pulled away. "Hey," Marianne knelt down again. "Don't you want to dance with me?" Marianne showed Emily a small smile.

Emily simply shook her head and walked off.

Marianne followed Emily and noticed Emily sitting down by the tv. "Do you want to watch tv?" She asked but received a shrug from Emily. "I'll put it on your favorite channel." She said and turned on the tv, zapping to Emily's channel. She then looked at Emily, hoping this would cheer her up a bit.

But Emily looked down, at the ground. And Marianne knew Emily was thinking about what she had just witnessed. Emily was processing this, unlike other children would do at this age.

Seeing this brought Marianne back to when she babysitted Catherine, when she was that age. Something had gotten Lilian upset which caused her to reject Catherine, like Emily was rejected now too. Fortunately, Lilian came back relatively fast to comfort Catherine. But seeing as Lily seemed pretty upset, Marianne knew Emily would have to be comforted by Catherine.

And she knew that wouldn't work well. In fact, she knew that'd probably make the situation worse.