Chapter 37: Our future

Third person's POV

Catherine entered the room where Lily was at. Upon entering, she spotted a lot of nurses and doctors. "What's going on?"

They all looked at her and, when they saw her, bowed. "Your wife's waking up, Superior," A doctor said. "We're checking if everything's alright."

Catherine walked closer and held on to Lily's hand. She felt that Lily was alive, but she also felt that there wasn't much life in them yet.

Catherine looked up at the doctor. "When will she wake up?"

Before the doctor could respond, Lily started blinking. "Right now," The doctor smiled a bit before focussing onto Lily. "Your Highness, can you hear me?" He waved in front of her face.

Lily kept blinking, as if she was waking up after a long and deep sleep, and Catherine thought that that was probably the best way to describe what had happened to Lily.

"Your Highness," The doctor kept waving until Lily looked at him. "There you are," He smiled before nodding at a nurse. The nurse looked at the machines, looking at the stats. "And?"

The nurse looked at him before nodding.

The doctor looked at Catherine. "She'll be alright, Superior."

"Perfect," Catherine then took a seat next to Lily's bed. "Hey there," She said quietly and was so relieved to see Lily look at her. Catherine smiled, her eyes almost tearing up. "I've missed you." She caressed Lily's cheek.

Lily smiled at Catherine, closing her eyes to enjoy the gentle caresses.

"I promise, no harm will ever be done to you," Catherine gently planted a kiss onto Lily's forehead. "I'll protect you with my life."

Lily smiled a bit.

Catherine returned that smile. "Get some rest, I'll be here when you wake up."

_________________________

- 2 weeks later -

"And can she walk already?" Esmee asked Catherine at dinner. The whole family, minus Lily, were seated together at the dining table.

"No," Catherine swallowed her food before adding: "But she can sit up and talk. The doctors have said that it may take a bit for her to walk again."

They all nodded.

"Probably because of the stab wounds," Benjamin said to which everyone nodded. "How is she dealing with those?"

"She's doing ok," Catherine slowly nodded. "She suffers from some panic attacks and feels rather unsafe but she manages."

"You must be happy that mommy's back, aren't you Emi?" Marianne asked little Emily.

Emily nodded excitedly. "We play!" She clapped her hands. "When play?" She asked Catherine.

"Hianag," Catherine started. "I've told you that your mommy needs time to rest. Auntie Esmee and I can play with you in the meantime."

Emily was visibly upset by that answer but nodded nevertheless.

After dinner, Catherine hurried back to Lily. This time, though, she brought Emily with her as Emily had been wanting to see her mommy for a while.

Catherine knocked on the door, so she wouldn't startle Lily, and then entered. "Hey haewa," Catherine walked to Lily, kissing her lips. "Look who came to say goodnight."

Emily immediately reached out to Lily as this was the first time in 2 weeks that she had seen her mother.

"Hey there," Lily said, taking Emily into her arms. "How is my baby girl doing?" She asked as she hugged Emily.

Emily, however, was so excited to see her mommy again that she hugged Lily pretty tight.

"Emily, be careful!" Catherine said, rather strict.

Emily pulled back a bit, pouting.

"Hey," Lily smiled at her, caressing her tiny cheeks. "I've missed you."

Emily smiled immediately. "Miss you."

Lily couldn't stop to caress Emily's tiny face all over. Ever since she knew what had happened to her, knowing she had died... It made her cherish the important things in life even more. Things like family, like her daughter. And it made her realize that she wanted much more for the future.

Emily stayed for another 30 minutes until Catherine went upstairs to put her to bed. She then came back and laid down next to Lily onto her bed, something they had done every night since Lily had woken up.

Lily smiled at Catherine. "I love this," She intertwined her fingers with Catherine's. "I love our family."

"Me too," Catherine whispered. "I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world."

Lily smiled before looking away.

And Catherine immediately noticed something was keeping Lily busy. She had noticed these facial expressions, Lily had been thinking about something. For the past times, Catherine hadn't asked Lily about it as she feared that it might trigger a bad response... From the attack...

But seeing as Lily was clearly not scared or upset, she couldn't help but wonder what was going through Lily's head. At times like this, she wished to have some vampire powers like the ones in the movies...

"Haewa," Catherine whispered, making Lily look at her. "What are you thinking about? What's occupying your thoughts?"

Lily looked away yet again, sighing. 

"Tell me," Catherine said, making Lily look at her. She caressed Lily's face. "Please. I want to be here for you."

Lily looked down for a bit but didn't turn away from Catherine. She seemed to look for the right words. Then she looked up at Catherine. "These past couple of days, I've been thinking about how happy I am with our little family," She paused before adding: "You, me and Emily... It's perfect."

Catherine smiled. "Yes, it is."

Lily looked Catherine in the eyes. "Catherine," She gulped. "I would like to have a second child with you." She then smiled a bit.

Catherine then looked down.

And Lily got upset immediately and looked away. She didn't expect Catherine to look down, or to deny this request.

Catherine sighed. "I would love that too."

Lily then looked at her.

"But we can't."

Then Lily frowned, she was confused. "W-what? Why not?"

Catherine sighed. "It's my bloodline," Catherine then paused, realizing how much she hated using that as an excuse, as a reason to explain every bad thing about her. "We need a successor to make sure that my kind doesn't stop to exist."

Lily slowly nodded.

"But once that successor is there," Catherine looked Lily right in the eyes. "My seeds are inactive. Because there's no need for me to get another child. That's the reason there's always one heir."

Lily looked away, realizing she'd have to give up her dream of having a big family with Catherine.

"I'm so sorry."

Lily looked at Catherine and noticed how upset Catherine was for saying this. "It's alright," Lily smiled at Catherine, immediately getting a smile back from Catherine. "We'll love our one and only child to infinity." 

"Absolutely." Catherine kissed Lily softly.

Lily returned the kiss before opening her arms for Catherine to lay in. Catherine laid her head onto Lily's chest while Lily wrapped her arms around Catherine, as they did every night. "Goodnight, haewa."

Catherine smiled a bit. "Goodnight, haewa."