Chapter 20: Parents and children

Lily's POV

Around 7, Marianne came to get us for dinner. I carried Emily downstairs and put her in her seat, which was next to me.

I then looked around the table, seeing Esmee, Peter, Benjamin and Marianne. But no Catherine...

I looked at Esmee. "Do you know where Catherine is?"

She looked up at me and, once again, had the same look in her eyes. It's like... Like she's disgusted. And I wondered: what did I do?

"She's in her study," Marianne replied. "Shall I go get her?"

I nodded.

Marianne left the room, and suddenly it got quiet. We all just sat there. Peter and Ben were on their phones, Emily was looking around and Esmee was looking in the distance. I felt the weird, and perhaps the tense, atmosphere. And I didn't like it.

Then Marianne entered the room again, with Catherine by her side. She sat down next to Peter while Catherine sat down next to me.

"Hey," I smiled at her, gaining a smile back. "Where were you all day?"

"I was just busy," She then looked at Marianne, who was handing everyone their plates. "I was thinking."

I nodded.

Catherine looked at me. "What did you do?" Her eyes then landed on Emily. "Did you spend your day with her?"

I nodded. "We played," I smiled and then looked at Emily, who smiled in return. I then looked at Catherine. "You should play along."

"I don't know," She grabbed her fork and knife. "It's not really my thing."

I sighed but decided to drop this, for now. I grabbed my fork and knife as well, and started eating.

___________________________

After dinner, everyone left the table. I had asked Catherine to take Emily upstairs and to spend some time with her while I helped Marianne clean up.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked her as I was stacking the dirty plates.

Marianne looked at me. "Sure."

I stopped and looked at her. "What's going on?" I asked but then realized this might sound too vague. "Everyone is acting so... different. Esmee is looking at me with disgust in her eyes, as if I've done something wrong. Peter and Ben don't even look at me anymore. And Catherine seems to avoid me," I sighed and looked down. "Did I do something wrong?"

Marianne sighed and went to sit down. "It's not that, dear."

I sat down as well and looked at her.

"Everyone is just affected by Vernon's return," She showed me a small smile, trying to reassure me. "Vernon destroyed our family when he murdered my sister. And now he's back."

I slowly nodded. I guess I should've known that...

"Catherine told me you spoke to him twice before the encounter here," She said to which I slowly nodded. "What did he say?"

I gulped. "He was..." I then looked away, remembering the conversation with Catherine about this topic. She got so angry when I tried explaining what I experienced, I don't want the same with Marianne. Though, I feel like I can trust her.

"He was what?" She asked, clearly growing impatient. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," I sighed again. "He was calm, he wasn't trying to hurt us."

"Then why did he come to you?"

I looked down then.

"Lily?"