Off to Neverland (54)

Even though Courtney was the last person I wanted to talk to out of everyone on this planet, I knew that I had to do so. I highly doubted that just talking to her would get her to not marry Eli, but it was always worth a shot…

I stopped right outside her dressing room when I heard the familiar cackle of my step-sister. I cursed under my breath, not wanting her to be there while I talked to her friend. As I continued to listen in, I heard another cackle and recognized it as their friend Janice.

“I can’t believe this is actually working!” Cassidy laughed, and I now peaked in through the crack in the door to see that their friend Rebecca was in the room as well, the only one sitting down as Courtney twirled around in her wedding dress. “This was genius!”

Courtney giggled as she did a twirl. “I know.”

“You are seriously the smartest girl I have ever met,” Janice smiled now in her airheaded tone of hers, since she hadn’t ever been really bright. “You’re my role model, Courtney. I hope to be just like you someday!”

She sounded like a child, but I kept my mouth shut and kept listening.

Courtney laughed selfishly before flipping her hair. “Doesn’t everybody?”

I noticed then that Rebecca was the only one out of all four of them that didn’t look happy. This confused me, since I thought that she’d be happy that her friend had won, but she looked like something was troubling her, and this only made me feel even more uneasy.

They continued to laugh and giggle while Rebecca just sat there for a few more minutes, and I was about to turn and walk away, give up on everything, until Rebecca spoke.

“What are you going to do when Eli finds out you’re not really pregnant?”

This caused the three giggling girls to stop laughing and glare at their friend. She cowered back just a little bit, but still expected her question to be answered. All I could do was stand there in complete and total shock, not understanding what was going on at all.

“I already told Janice and Cassidy this, but I guess I’ll have to tell you, too,” Courtney began now, looking like she could have slapped Rebecca, “I’m going to just fake a miscarriage in a couple of weeks. Eli will already be married to me for a little while then, that bitch Ivy will be completely out of the picture, and he’ll feel so bad that his baby died that he’ll have to stay with me.”

Janice and Cassidy cackled again, both of them agreeing on Courtney being the smartest person they had ever met. I just stood there, wanting to hear more of this conversation now that I knew I had the upper hand.

“But…” Rebecca swallowed, and I felt kind of bad for her. She really hadn’t ever done anything bad to me like the rest of them, and I never really understood why she hung out with them. “You had ultrasound pictures, and positive tests results from the doctors. How could you have gotten all of that if you’re not really pregnant?”

Courtney rolled her eyes at her friend now, as I she was the stupidest girl on the planet. I was even more interested now, because I had no idea how Courtney could have gotten all of that when she wasn’t even really pregnant.

“I did the doctor a few… favors,” she shrugged with a giggle, and we all knew what she meant. “He was really easy to manipulate.”

This was all I needed to hear. I knew what I had to do, and that was to stop this wedding. I didn’t know where Eli was, so I couldn’t go and talk to him just yet. This meant I was going to have to wait until the wedding started.

I heard a scream from inside Courtney’s dressing room, almost causing me to jump right out of my skin.

“The wedding starts in five minutes!” Cassidy shouted, and I knew that it was almost show time. I had to find my friends and go sit with them before someone caught me and I got thrown out.