Off to Neverland (21)

"Ten, nine, eight..." rang throughout the classroom, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Seven, six, five..."

"I don't get what everyone is so excited for," I drawled, leaning over closer to Chloe so no one else would hear me. "It's just Thanksgiving break. We'll be gone for a week, but then we'll be right back here. It isn't that big of a deal, so they shouldn't be counting down like this..."

Chloe rolled her eyes at me. "You must not get it, Ivy," she smiled, and I almost rolled my eyes at her. She was one of the people that were counting down... "A lot of the kids here don't live at home, they live in dorms. This is the first vacation of the year, so they finally get to go home."

I made a face. "I'd like to stay here."

Chloe rolled her eyes at me again. "Well, you're one of the few. I'm actually really excited about going home. I haven't been back since August. It's been such a long time and I really miss my family..."

I nodded, understanding what she meant. I would have missed my family as well if my mother was still alive and Claudia and Cassidy didn't live in my house... But since they did, I was going to have to deal with them. It was bad enough Cassidy went to Neverland now...

At the thought of my mother, I squeezed the necklace that was always around my neck. I hated Thanksgiving without her, and Christmas as well. It was never going to be the same... Especially since I had Claudia and Cassidy with me this year.

This would be the second Thanksgiving we'd have since my father married Claudia, but the year before Claudia and Cassidy spent it with their family. But this year, their stupid family was going to come over to our small house and we were going to have Thanksgiving there. I had forgotten to ask my father who was coming over from our side of the family...

"Four, three, two..."

Oh, come on.

"One!"

People cheered, shooting out the door as quickly as they could. I let out a sigh, following Chloe out the door. At least she wasn't in a rush like everyone else was...

"Finally, we're out of this place," Chloe sighed, practically skipping out the door. "I can't wait to get home."

"Well, I'd like to stay here," I repeated to her with a frown. I really didn't want to think about going back to my house with both Claudia and Cassidy for Thanksgiving break. One week with them and my head was going to explode, and it was going to be even worse when their family came over for dinner. I hadn't ever met a member of their family yet, but I wasn't looking forward to it. I could only imagine the stories Claudia and Cassidy had told them...

Untrue stories.

"Ivy!" a shrill voice screeched after I had packed my bag for the weeks. Both Chloe and I rolled our eyes at my blonde step-sister. "Hurry up, Ivy! I want to go home!"

She had been living at home the entire time she had gone to Neverland, which had only been a week. She didn't live in a dorm like I did... She didn't practically get picked out of the house like I did...

"I'll see you soon!" Chloe smiled brightly, hugging me tightly before I could get in Claudia's car. "I really wish you had a phone so we could talk!"

I shrugged. "It'll only be a week."

Chloe smiled. "That's way too long for me! I'm going to give you a super big hug when I see you again!"

I smiled at her. "I'm counting on it."

Chloe spun around on her heel, skipping off toward her car. She waved at me one last time before hopping in, and whoever was behind the wheel sped off out of the parking lot.