Pride

It was Pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.

- St. Augustine

"No, I'll do it!" Namjoon yelled at Yoongi. "I can't have you ruining it." he added, giving him an arrogant glare.

"Fine." Yoongi muttered before walking away hurt. Namjoon knew that Yoongi's help was no good. He was always bored and he didn't want him ruining the track. The flares that were previously burning behind Namjoon's passionate eyes, faded away at the sight of Yoongi leaving the studio in defeat.

The comeback song had to be perfect and he was the only one who could do it right. He was better than everyone else. At least that was what Namjoon thought. He always put himself before anyone else, he wanted to be praised by everyone for his hard work.

But in order to achieve that, he had to work alone, he didn't want the rest of Bangtan to slow him down and end up stealing his credits. He worked on the title song for weeks, he never accepted help from anyone, he never needed someone to assist him, his perfectly cultivated skills and talents were enough to get the job done flawlessly.

"Those imbeciles can't do anything right. Only I can do it properly." he would whisper to himself every time he rejected yet another offer from his band mates or crew.

Namjoon felt like he was carrying all the success on his shoulders. He was the best, no one else was better than him. He was the only one keeping Bangtan on the right track, the track of fame, glory and money.

One day, while Namjoon was working on the songs, Hoseok barged into the studio in a passive-aggressive manner.

"What are you doing here?" the taller man's voice emitted threatening vibes. His deathly glare was radiating terror, sending shivers down Hoseok's spine.

Namjoon's almost barbaric voice, had Hoseok petrified but he couldn't bear the thought of Namjoon taking all the credits, he wanted to help so he could get the praise he deserved.

"I'll help you do it better." Hoseok claimed firmly, puffing his chest outwards in a futile attempt to hide his dismay. The words pierced through Namjoon's skull like scorching needles, he felt offended at the thought that someone could improve his work. That someone could do it better than him. The hellfire returned and Namjoon's eyes burned like never before.

"How dare you..." he cackled. Namjoon's deep almost abyssal voice gave Hoseok the chills. "You will never be as good as I am, all you'll ever be is jealous. Jealous of me, because I'm better than you, I'll always be better than you and you can't live with that! You can't do anything right Hoseok." Namjoon was firing insults towards the sensitive dancer. He could see despair and agony taking over Hoseok's features but he didn't care. He was too caught up on his bruised ego to think twice about how his words would affect the younger man. "Honestly I don't even know why you're a part of this group." he scoffed and turned his back at Hoseok.

Hoseok felt like a bird without wings. Namjoon's words made him feel completely useless and unwanted. His heart shattered, scattering across the floor into billion little pieces and the only thing left to do was retreat and cry. Cry his eyes out until he couldn't feel anymore.

"That's right, now let me work." Namjoon hit again the already emotionally beaten down Hoseok as he turned his back on Namjoon to cover his tormented soul. The pain he felt was excruciating and the worst part was that Namjoon didn't even seem to care.

With sadness taking over his features and dread dominating his demolished heart, Hoseok ran out of the studio, banging the door behind him.

Namjoon kept on working and working. He never stopped, he wanted to make this perfect because no one could do it better than him. He had to prove that he was the finest. He had to show the rest of the world what he already knew. He was the best of the best.

In his journey to prove himself to everyone and be acknowledged, Namjoon had pushed everyone away. His band mates hated him and he didn't have any friends left. Despite that, he never felt empty, that big hole inside of him was permanently occupied by his pride.

The same pride that pushed everyone away.

The same pride that made Hoseok punish and hurt himself to the point of no return.

The same pride that made him despised.

But he never minded, he was always satisfied with his work. He knew that no one was better than him. Everyone would realize their mistake as soon as the work was done. Everyone would see how amazing he was and they would come back kneeling, begging for forgiveness, apologizing in tears for doubting him.

The time came and the song was finally finished.

The company released it and Namjoon waited in font of a screen to witness the results of his work.

Soon, the comments section was overflowing but instead of messages of approval and love, Namjoon received hate and humiliation. The song flopped and everyone blamed him and his inflated ego for it.

That burning feeling came back. This time stronger than ever before. A scorching sensation behind his orbs, tickling his irises from the inside out. But that tickling gradually developed into blistering until he could no longer feel his eyes. Until he could no longer see anything.

That was his punishment for his callous behavior but was it worth it after all?

Was having no friends worth it?

Was hurting the feelings of others worth it?

Was losing his eyesight worth it?

He was too proud to admit that he failed. That he wasn't qualified enough, that he needed help.

He ruined everything because of one single thing.

His pride.