Chapter Fifteen

River's POV

Mom wants to stay home and get food started so I agreed to take the kids to the parade in town. Honestly the fourth of July was never one of my favorite holidays, I like Halloween.

We stop in front of one of the bars on the main street the parade is about to start. The girls step over the curb but stay back by Zane. The sirens go off and then I could swear I heard my name I start looking around.

"River!" I hear a voice yell, I whip my head to the left I lower my shades and see Amelia running towards me.

I grin widely at her push my shades back up and squat down for her, she leaps into my arms. I look around for Abigail or Cory but no sign of them. "Where is your mama at baby girl?" I ask her.

She shrugs. "I saw you and wanted to say hi."

"Oh shit." I say. "I mean boy OH BOY." I say I crane my neck trying to look through the crowd.

"ZANE!" I yell at my brother he comes over. "You stay RIGHT HERE! Watch your sister's I'll be back in five minutes or less." I say sternly. 

He gives me a stern nod, Zane is only like seven and a half but he's pretty good about doing what he's told.

I quickly start walking through the crowd. I don't get more then half way down the block and see Abigail she is freaking the fuck out.

"Amelia!" She yells tears rolling down her face.

"ABBY!" I yell she turns her head and looks at me she throws her hand over her mouth in shock Cory is right beside her along with some other kid I hadn't seen before she comes running towards me.

"Hi mama." She smiles.

Abigail takes Amelia away from me and cries hard, resting a hand on the back of her head holding her tightly. "God don't ever do that to me again!" She sobs.

"Sorry mama, I wanted to see River." Amelia says sadly.

"I think we better just go home thats enough scare for me for one day." Abby says.

"Abigail wait, she's totally fine she came straight over to me. Relax." I tell her she stares at me behind her shades for a long moment but gives a weak nod.

I wrap an arm around her shoulder and lead her to where I was standing. Cory and the other kid follows, he doesn't say much he looks... familiar.

Once we're at a stand still, Abigail gestures to the boy with her hand. "River this is my brother Calvin, Cal this is River." She introduces us.

"Nice to meet you man." I say.

"You too." Cal says bumping my fist.

"Mama I want candy!" Amelia yells.

Abigail looks at her worriedly.

"She's fine Abby, the other kids are out there." I tell her.

She nods and set's  Amelia down. "Stay out of the road." Abby says sternly.

"Okay." Amelia shrugs and walks off.

I stand behind Abby and rub her shoulders trying to relax her, it must be working because she rests her head back against my chest.

"That was a nightmare." Abby says in a strained voice.

"She's okay mama, calm down." I tell her.

I'm surprised Abby doesn't normally let me touch her at all, like no contact and the contact is making my head swim.

We watch the kids through the parade Amelia does good so does Molly and Madison. Cory and Zane are a bit older so they definitely no better.

"You coming over?" I ask she turns around to face me, she sighs but nods. 

"Yeah I guess so." She says and shrugs.

"What changed your mind?" I ask her curiously. 

"I don't know I guess the kids wanted to and..." She shakes her head but then looks up at me, I smile and I can see her roll her eyes beneath her sunglasses.

"Admit it mama you wanted to see me." I smirk.

"Maybe." She shrugs, then takes a deep breath. "I just know that I need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of me and Amelia. She's taken care of, happy, healthy and the rest isn't anyone elses damn business." 

I smile at that. "Sounds about right to me."

"Hey! There's a baby in the road!" Someone yells. My head snaps up as Abigail spins around and before Abby can even move I take off in a sprint. Amelia is in the road and there is a fire truck coming who is trying to stop but is going to fast.

"AMELIA!" I scream she spins around and see's the truck, her jaw drops in shock and confusion. Everyone is screaming in panic.

I grab her around the waist and spin my body away from the truck just in time before it can hit us both.

My heart is pounding in my chest I hold onto her tightly and kiss her on the head. "Holy fuck." I whisper and rub her head with my hand, kissing her on the head again I spin around as the firetruck drives past.

Abigail is standing half bent over with her hands over her mouth her eyes wide with horror, I quickly run across the road with Amelia.

Everyone is staring at us Abigail straightens up shaking her head fiercely. She takes Amelia from me and kisses her head holding her tightly.

"That's it I'm done I'm leaving. Cory!" Abigail yells.

"Abby wait!" I yell. 

Calvin and Cory quickly follow after Abigail who is speed walking away with Amelia. I don't chase after her I get it she is scared that's the second time today she lost track of Amelia and because of me at that, so that's awesome.

The parade ends and I grab the girls picking them both up and Zane walks ahead of me with the candy. Once we're back to the Impala I get them in and get in myself starting the car. 

I pull it away quickly heading back to my place. It's a bitch to get out of town traffic is crazy but I finally get onto Oakley ridge.  I live just halfway up the hill and pull into the long gravel driveway. The kids and I get into the house.

"Holy shit it smells good in here!" I yell. I can hear mom laughing from the kitchen at my comment I skip my way into the kitchen and stand beside her. "You making me some pudding mama?" I ask.

She lifts the spoon over her shoulder it has chocolate pudding on it. I lick the spoon and she laughs. "Worlds best mom." I say kissing her cheek and dance away from her I don't get far then feel a wooden spoon smack me on the ass.

"Don't jump around in my kitchen boy to much food." She says sternly as I rub my butt and pout. She giggles hysterically and turns away shaking her head.

A/N: VOTE AND COMMENT! Tell me how I'm doing? Hope ya like this book I know I do!