twenty-eight

Tina, Neeki, and Newt were standing in a nearby alleyway in Furstemberg

Tina, Neeki, and Newt were standing in a nearby alleyway in Furstemberg. They were looking out over the square where tree roots previously rose to form the birdcage elevator to the French Ministry.

"The box is in the ancestral records room. So, three floors down," Newt informed.

He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out a with a tiny bottle with a couple of muddy drops left inside it.

"Is that Polyjuice?" Tina questioned.

"Just enough to get me inside."

Newt looked down at his coat and found one of Theseus's hairs. Then, he threw it into the mixture, drank it, and turned into his brother.

"Who - ?"

"My brother, Theseus. He's an Auror - and a hugger."

"Well, what about Neeki?" Tina asked, tilting her head to the side. "Won't someone obviously notice her?"

"It'll be fine. Most people know her by her black panther form."

Tina nodded.

Inside the ministry, from the second floor, Theseus zoned in on Newt walking in with his face, but Newt's clothes. Tina, Newt, and Neeki with a hat over her face all looked down at the floor. Newt glanced up slightly, only to lock eyes with his brother.

Newt - still disguised as Theseus - grabbed the girls' arms and made a turn down a corridor. Theseus immediately stalked off in pursuit, leaving Leta and Travers, who still hadn't spotted Newt or two Theseuses. Leta backed away from the throng and slipped through a side door. Newt, Neeki, and Tina ran along a corridor lined with pictures as the Polyjuice Potion slowly wore off.

"I don't suppose you can Disapparate on Ministry premises in France, can you?" Newt hopefully asked.

She shook her head.

"Pity," he mumbled.

The Potion wore off completely.

"Newt!" Tina exclaimed.

"Yes, I know. I know there's - "

At once, every portrait along the corridor turned into Newt. There were wanted posters of him. An alarm started ringing.

"Urgence! Urgence! Un sorcier et qui suivirent, Newt Scamander, entrèrent dans le ministère! Emergency! Emergency! A tracked wizard, Newt Scamander, has entered the Department of Magic!" the voice of the alarm repeated those words.

Theseus suddenly slid from down the hallway. "Newt!"

The trio began running away.

"That's your brother?" Tina asked.

"Yes - I think I may have mentioned we have quite a complicated relationship," he responded.

"Newt, stop!" Theseus shouted.

Newt, Neeki, and Tina sprinted through a second door, which led to the mailroom. Two elderly porters were in a circular room, pushing mailcarts across the room from opposite sides.

"Does he want to kill you two?" Tina asked.

"Me, frequently," Newt answered.

"No!" Theseus shouted.

"He needs to control his temper!" Tina scolded.

As they sprinted past the mailcarts, Theseus sent a curse after them, sending the mailcart boxes flying. Tina turned around, blocked the spell, and conjured a chair and tied him to it. She flicked his wand and the chair with Theseus tied to it slammed into a wall.

"How is Niya?" Newt quickly asked before running away.

Theseus scowled. "Fine."