nine

The perimeter of the leather case was dimly visible, but the place had swollen to the size of a small aircraft hangar

The perimeter of the leather case was dimly visible, but the place had swollen to the size of a small aircraft hangar. It looked like a safari park. Each of Newt's creatures had its own perfect, magically created habitat. Jacob was totally amazed.

Newt was standing in the nearest habitat - a slice of Arizona desert. The area contained a Thunderbird - a creature similar to a large albatross. Its wings shimmered with cloud and sun-like patterns. One of its legs was rubbed raw and bloody. It had been chained previously. As the Thunderbird flapped its wings, its habitat filled with a torrential downpour, thunder, and lightning. Newt used his wand to create a magical umbrella.

Newt looked up at the Thunderbird. "Come on, come on. Down you come. Come on."

The Thunderbird calmed itself, lowering down to stand on a large rock in front of Newt. The rain died down and was replaced by a hot sunshine.  Newt put his wand away and produced a handful of grub from his pocket. The Thunderbird watched intently.

Newt stroked the Thunderbird. "Oh, thank Paracelsus. If you'd got out, that could have been quite catastrophic." Then, he turned his attention to Jacob. "You see, he's the real reason I came back to America - to bring Frank home."

Jacob stepped forward, but that caused the Thunderbird to react in agitation.

"No, sorry, stay there. He's a wee bit sensitive to strangers. He was trafficked, you see. I found him in Egypt and he was all chained up. Couldn't leave him there, had to bring him back. I'm gonna put you back where you belong, aren't I, Frank? To the wilds of Arizona."

Newt threw the grub into the air and Frank flew up to it, catching them as he soared through the sky. After showing Jacob the Graphorns and a Fwooper, they headed to the Bowtruckle habitat. It was a bamboo wood with trees surrounding it. They walked into a sunlit glade.

"Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?" Newt called out as he scooped Pickett out of his pocket. "He had a cold. He needed some body warmth."

Jacob awed.

Newt extended his arm, trying to get Pickett to join the others. The other Bowtruckles clacked noisily when they saw Pickett.

"Right, on you hop," Newt said.

Pickett refused to leave Newt to join the other Bowtruckles.

"He has attachment issues," Newt said to Jacob. "Now, come on, Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you. Now, come on. Pickett!" Newt scolded.

Pickett clung onto one of Newt's fingers.

"All right." He sighed. "But that is why they accuse me of favoritism."

A black panther stalked into the glade. Jacob's eyes bulged out as he scooted closer to Newt for safety.

"Oh - do not fret, Mr. Kowalski. She won't hurt you. It is only Neeki."

"N-Neeki? That woman you were with?" Jacob asked.

Newt nodded. "She's either an Animagus, Maledictus, or a Metamorphmagus that chooses to only turn into a black panther. I don't know her background. After much consideration, I don't think I'll ever figure it out."

"A what, what, and what?" Jacob asked.

Newt briefly smiled before striding over to Neeki and rubbing her head. She purred and nudged his hand with the top of her head.

"An Animagus is a witch or wizard with the rare ability to transform into a particular animal at will, but she would have needed to go through a very extensive procedure. A Maledictus is a female individual who carries a blood curse that eventually turns her into a beast permanently, while a Metamorphmagus can change form, shape, and gender to anyone, but they can only change into one animal that resembles their traits."

"Interesting," Jacob whispered. "Can I... Can I touch her?"

"You may try. Approach slowly, then she'll decide if she wants you for a late dinner or not," Newt replied.

Jacob gulped, but approached Neeki. Newt backed away. She stared at Jacob and turned her nose up. She knew who he was, but she still wasn't used to him. Jacob pressed his hand on top of her head. The two didn't move for a while, but Neeki made the first move by licking his hand.

"She likes you," Newt commented. "Thank Merlin."

"It's an Obscurus."

Jacob looked at Newt, whose happy demeanor was gone. Jacob accidentally walked into a tent that was blowing gentle air. He was called into it.

"I need to get going and find everyone who's escaped before they get hurt," Newt said.

"Before they get hurt," Jacob whispered.

"Yes, Mr. Kowalski. See, they're currently in alien terrain, surrounded by millions of the most vicious creatures on the planet - humans. So where would you say that a medium-sized creature that likes broad, open plains, trees, water holes - that kind of thing - where might she go?"

"In New York City?" Jacob asked.

"Yes."

"Plains?" Jacob shrugged. "Ah -  maybe Central Park?"

"And where is that exactly?"

"Where is Central Park?" Jacob repeated. "Well, look, I would come and show you, but don't you think it's kind of a double cross? The girls take us in and they make us hot cocoa..."

"You do realize that when they see you've stopped sweating, they'll Obliviate you in a heartbeat."

"What does 'bliviate mean?"

"It'll be like you wake up and all memory of magic you know is gone."

"I won't remember any of this?" Jacob asked sadly.

"No."

"All right, yeah. Okay. I'll help you." Jacob nodded.

"Come on, then," Newt beckoned.