thirty-two

Thousands of witches and wizards milled around

Thousands of witches and wizards milled around. Some were all ready seated on stone benches. The atmosphere was tense and edgy. Some witches and wizards were nervous, curious, a true believer.

Newt, Neeki, and Tina were together in the crowd. Leta disappeared long ago.

"It's a trap," Tina whispered.

"Yeah. Queenie and the family tree - it's all been bait," Newt added before he turned to Neeki. "Neeki, I advise you leave at once. If what Kama says is true, then you are not safe here. Grindelwald has a purpose for locking your memories away."

She growled at him. "I want to know. He has no right. I am no object."

Acolytes were moving to cover all the entrances. They were all trapped in the amphitheater.

"We have to find a way out of here, right now," Tina demanded. "I'll find the others, okay? Do what you need to do, Mr. Scamander. You always have a plan."

Tina split apart from Neeki and Newt. Then, the lights dimmed and the crowd started cheering ferociously as Grindelwald walked onstage. Meanwhile, Tina was weaving through the crowd, searching. She found Queenie and Jacob in the audience, and Credence on the other side of the amphitheater. She didn't know who to go to first. She loved her sister, but if Credence wasn't saved first, Grindelwald would get to them first. She walked to Credence but was blocked by an acolyte. She walked into the crowd and sat down on the bench.

Queenie was sucked in, applauding energetically. Jacob was scared, Kama was skeptical, Credence was transfixed, Nagini was uneasy, and Leta was studying Grindelwald intently. Neeki's instincts weren't as on-point. She was too busy looking around and wondering what her past was like. Newt had a hunch that was why she was not paying any attention to him. She was usually holding onto him, but she was barely grazing his arm.

Grindelwald gestured for the crowd to settle down. "My brothers, my sisters, my friends: the great gift of your applause is not for me. No. It is for yourselves. You came today because of a craving and a knowledge that the old ways serve us no longer... You come today because you crave something new, something different. It is said that I hate Les Non-Magiques, the Muggles, the No-Maj, the Can't-Spells."

People jeered and hissed from the crowd. Jacob looked around, frightened as he slumped down in his seat. Queenie tried to reassure him.

"I do not hate them. I do not," Grindelwald announced.

Everyone was quiet.

"For I do not fight out of hatred. I say the Muggles are not lesser, but other. Not worthless, but of other value. Not disposable, but of a different disposition. Magic blooms only in rare souls. It is granted to those who live for higher things. Oh, and what a world we could make, for all of humanity. We who live for freedom, for truth - " He looked at Queenie in the front row. " - and for love."

Back at the cemetery, the figures of fifty Aurors appeared in silhouette among the mausoleums. Among them was Theseus.

"It isn't illegal to listen to him," Theseus stated. "Use a minimum of force on the crowd. We mustn't be what he says we are!"