twelve

Newt, Tina, and Neeki were in a long, black, metallic corridor that led into a pure white cell with a pool of a rippling potion

Newt, Tina, and Neeki were in a long, black, metallic corridor that led into a pure white cell with a pool of a rippling potion. They were forced into the room. A guard stood at the door.

"Don't do this, Bernadette. Please," Tina pleaded.

"It don't hurt," the first executioner reassured.

Neeki was led to the edge of the pool. She began panicking, eyes darting to Newt hopelessly.

"Don't - No, please, don't - Please, don't harm her," Newt whispered.

The smiling executioner ignored him and raised a wand to carefully extract Neeki's happy memories from her head. Neeki calmed down. Her expression was numb and vacant. The executioner cast the memories into the potion. The ripples came to life with scenes from Neeki's life.

Neeki's mother, Margaret, appeared in the pool. "My darling Kayla," she cooed. "Being an Animagus don't hurt. In time due, you'll be able to soar the sky as an eagle or track down people with your good, wolfish nose."

"Really, Mama?" young Neeki asked.

"Really."

"Mama?" Neeki repeated.

"Don't that look good?" the first executioner asked. "You wanna get in? Huh?"

Neeki nodded slowly. She sat in the execution chair, gazing down at the happy memories. Newt glanced down his own arm. Pickett was clambering, quiet and agile, toward the shackles that held Newt's hands.

The second executioner raised her wand to Newt's forehead. Newt seized his opportunity, jumping backward out of the way before revealing the Swooping Evil, which he threw forward toward the pool. He swiftly turned and punched the guard, knocking him out cold. Newt quickly undid Tina's shackles.

The Swooping Evil expanded into a gigantic, weirdly beautiful butterfly-esque reptile with skeletal wings. It continued to circle round and round the pool. Pickett clambered onto the second executioner's arm and bit her, startling her. It gave Newt time to grab her arms and take aim with her wand. A spell fired, hitting the other executioner, who dropped to the floor, her wand falling into the pool.

As it fell, the liquid rose up in viscous black bubbles, instantly engulfing the wand. In reaction, Neeki's memories turned from good to bad. Thunder clashed in her memory. Wands were drawn and people were whispering harshly. Candles were lit and there were no natural lights.

"She will prove to be useful when the time comes," Grindelwald whispered.

"She is a mere child! Seven!" Margaret shouted.

"Do you disobey me?"

"You are not sane," she retorted, standing in front of Neeki.

Grindelwald took out his wand. "I can dispose of her or you can obey me."

"Margaret, listen to him," Lancelot, Neeki's father, demanded.

"No," Margaret said. "You'll have to kill me first."

Neeki's stool was lowering closer and closer to the liquid. The Swooping Evil glided across the room, knocking the second executioner to the ground. Neeki snapped out of her reverie and screamed. Newt was taken aback. Neeki had never screamed in her human form before.

"Newt!" Neeki called.

The liquid turned to a black bubbling death potion. It rose up, surrounding Neeki on her chair. She stood up to get away.

"Neeki, don't panic!" Newt shouted.

He made a strange tutting sound, commanding the Swooping Evil to circle the pool once more.

"Jump," Newt commanded. "Jump on him."

Neeki fearfully looked down at the pool, then at the Swooping Evil. Newt had his arms opened wide for her. She closed her eyes and took s deep breath, then opened her eyes and jumped. She landed on its back, inches away from the swirling liquid. She hopped forward, straight into Newt's open arms.

Newt stabilized Neeki as he nudged his head to the door. "Come on!"

Suddenly accosted by the group of Aurors, the trio darted behind pillars, missing the fired curses and spells. Newt sent out the Swooping Evil, which swirled overhead, flying in and out of pillars, blocking curses and knocking the Aurors to the ground. It used its proboscis to probe in one of the Aurors' ears.

Newt made a clicking sound. "Leave his brains! come on! Come on!"

The trio continued running onward. The Swooping Evil flew after them, blocking curses as it flew.

"What is that thing?" Tina asked.

"Swooping Evil," Newt answered.