fourteen

The group resided inside Newt's case

The group resided inside Newt's case. Jacob turned to the Demiguise, lifting it up and placing him in its nest. "Happy to be home? Bet you're exhausted, buddy. Come on. There you go. that's right."

Tina looked around at the Erumpent, stamping through her enclosure. Tina's face was full of wonder and admiration. Jacob chuckled at her expression. Pickett pinched Newt from the inside of his pocket. Newt walked around the enclosure as he talked to Pickett.

"Ouch!" Newt fished Pickett out. "Right, I think we need to talk. See, I wouldn't have let him keep you, Pickett. Pick, I would rather chop off my hand than get rid of you. After everything you have done for me - now, come on. We've talked about sulking."

Pickett stuck out his tongue at Newt and blew a raspberry as they reached the Thunderbird area.

"All right, now that is beneath you," he scolded Pickett.

Queenie was inside Newt's shed. She was looking at a beautiful girl who was smiling suggestively.

"Hey, Newt," she called out. "Who is she?"

"Ah... That's no one," he answered.

Queenie read his mind. "Leta Lestrange? I've heard of that family. Aren't they kinda - you know?"

"Please don't read my mind."

Queenie read the whole story out of Newt's head. She looked both intrigued and saddened. Newt continued to work, trying hard to pretend Queenie isn't reading his mind. She stepped forward, closer to Newt.

"Sorry, I asked you not to," Newt angrily responded.

"I know. I'm sorry, I can't help it. People are easiest to read when they're hurting."

"I'm not hurting. Anyway, it was a long time ago."

"That was a real close friendship you had at school," she replied.

"Yes, well, neither of us really fitted in at school, so we - "

" - became real close."

Tina noticed that Newt and Queenie were talking, but she wasn't the only one who noticed. Neeki sniffed the air. She could smell jealousy and curiosity radiating from Tina.

Queenie was concerned. "She was a taker. You need a giver. Neeki is a giver. She'd be willing to sacrifice her life for you."

"Well, I won't ask of that," Newt whispered.

Tina and Neeki walked toward them.

"What are you two talking about?" Tina asked.

"Nothing," Newt responded.

"School," Queenie responded.

"School," Newt repeated.

Jacob was putting on his jacket. "Did you say school? Is there a school? A wizardry school here? In America?"

"Of course - Ilvermorny! It's only the best wizard school in the whole world!" Queenie exclaimed.

"I think you'll find the best wizarding school in the world is Hogwarts!" Newt retorted.

She scoffed. "Hogwash."

"Durmstrang is better," Neeki mumbled.

Queenie read her mind. "Oh - you were born there? That sounds magical."

Newt looked between Neeki and Queenie. "What is she thinking?"

"She misses home. She wants her mother. Oh..."

"What? What is it?" Tina asked.

Queenie smacked her lips and took a step back. "She doesn't understand. She - She doesn't know that - She doesn't know... Oh - dear."

"Know what, Queenie?" Tina asked.

"Her mother's locked her memories away. She won't remember her life until - " Queenie winced. "I'm sorry. The spell cast on her is powerful. She remembers nothing. She is like a baby of sorts."

"A spell's been cast on her?" Newt asked.

"I can't hear anything else, Newt. I'm sorry."

There was a gigantic crack of thunder. Frank rose into the air, screeching and flapping his wings vigorously. His body turned black and gold.

"Danger. He senses danger," Newt said.