thirteen

After escaping MACUSA by an inch of their hair, Newt, Tina, Queenie, Neeki, and Jacob entered a Department store

After escaping MACUSA by an inch of their hair, Newt, Tina, Queenie, Neeki, and Jacob entered a Department store. The windows were full of glamorously dressed mannequins. Jacob stared into the shop windows, staring at a handbag which was sliding down the arm of a mannequin by itself. Newt, Tina, Neeki, and Queenie watched as the bag hovered in midair and floated off into the store. They quickly went inside the store. It was decorated for Christmas. All the lights were off for the night.

The handbag was floating down the central aisle, accompanied by grunting noises. The group quietly walked through the store, hiding behind a large plastic Christmas display.

"So, Demiguises are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked," Newt explained.

The Demiguise appeared. It was a silvery-haired orangutan-like creature that was bearing over a display to reach a box of sweets.

"You two...head that way," Newt commanded Jacob and Queenie. "And try very hard not to be predictable."

Jacob and Queenie exchanged perplexed glances before heading off. A small roar can be heard in the distance. The Demiguise looked up at the ceiling before gathering the sweets, shoveling them into the handbag.

"Was that the Demiguise?" Tina asked, referring to the roar.

"No, I think it might be the reason that the Demiguise is here," Newt answered.

Tina, Neeki, and Newt moved toward the Demiguise, watching it quietly. Feeling their gazes, the Demiguise turned and looked at Newt quizzically before moving up a set of side stairs. Newt smiled and moved to follow. The attic storeroom was filled to the ceiling with shelves packed with boxes of China. The Demiguise walked along the attic in a patch of moonlight. It glanced around before stopping and emptying its handbag full of sweets. Its sight operated on probability, so it could foresee the most likely immediate future. Newt came into view, creeping up behind the Demiguise.

"What's it doing now?" Tina asked.

"Babysitting," Newt answered.

The Demiguise held up one of the sweets, seeming to offer it up to something.

"What did you just say?"

"This is all my fault. I thought I had them all, but I must have miscounted," Newt expressed, sighing frustratedly.

Tina saw a creature with scales. "It was babysitting that?"

"Occamies are choranaptyxic, so they grow to fill available space."

Neeki growled quietly. The Occamy saw Newt and craned its head to look him more clearly.

"It's all right. Mommy's here," Newt calmly said.

The Occamy stared at him, then its eyes flickered to Neeki. Her eyes momentarily turned purple before she shifted and roared at the Occamy. The Occamy roared, recognizing Neeki's feline scent. Neeki never liked Occamies because they could easily choke her out with their slithering bodies.

Jacob and Queenie staggered backward to find cover. The Demiguise ran away and jumped into Jacob's arms. The Occamy swooped, scooping Newt up onto its back as it violently thrashed about the attic, sending shelves flying. Neeki roared, jumping onto the Occamy and scratching it.

"Right, we need an insect - any kind of insect - and a teapot! Find a teapot!" Newt commanded the others. He looked behind him to see Neeki clawing the Occamy. "Sweetheart, you're making it worse!"

Tina army-crawled through the chaos, dodging falling items, trying to find what Newt has asked for. The wings of the Occamy crashed down to the floor, narrowly missing Jacob as he stumbled around. The Demiguise was clinging to his back. Newt was finding it harder and harder to hold on as the Occamy became more distressed. Its wings thrashed upward, destroying the roof of the building. Neeki dug her claws in further and jumped toward Newt, grabbing his coat with her teeth. She tumbled onto the ground, minimizing Newt's impact by landing beneath him. Neeki whimpered as she laid on the ground. She attempted on getting up, but her back was bruised and some of her bones were fractured. Newt crawled over to her, cupping her face with his hands.

Jacob turned. He and the Demiguise spotted a stray cockroach on a crate. Jacob reached his hand up to grab it, when part of the Occamy crashed down, destroying the crate and his chance. Tina crawled across the floor, in hot pursuit of a cockroach. Queenie screamed as she was knocked to the floor by the force of the Occamy. Jacob ran up behind her and dived forward, flat onto the floor, capturing a cockroach.

Tina stood up, clutching a teapot. "Teapot!"

The Occamy reared its head, causing its tail to writhe, squashing and pinning Jacob - with the Demiguise - against one of the rafters. Jacob and Tina were at opposite ends of the room, neither daring to move. The Demiguise looked shiftily up to the side and promptly vanished. Jacob slowly turned to follow the Demiguise's gaze. The Occamy's face was inches away from his own, staring with full intensity at the cockroach in his hand.

Newt peered around. "Roach in teapot," he whispered.

Jacob gulped, trying not to make eye contact with the huge creature next to him. Jacob threw the roach. It soared through the air as the Occamy's body began to move once more, uncurling and swirling around the room. Queenie took cover, placing a colander over her head. Newt covered Neeki's body with his own. Tina ran, teapot outstretched in her hand as the cockroach landed inside the teacup.

The Occamy reared up, shrinking rapidly as it rose, before diving down headfirst. Tina lowered her head, bracing herself for a hit. The Occamy raced down toward the teapot and glided seamlessly inside. Newt leaped forward and jammed a lid on top of the teapot.

"Choranaptyxic. They also shrink to fit the available space," Newt explained breathlessly.

"Tell me the truth - was that everything that came out of the case?" Tina asked.

Newt nodded. "That's everything - and that's the truth."

Neeki turned back into her human form. She sighed, her cheek pressed against the ground. Her body was curled into a half-ball. Newt rushed over to her.

"Neeki, are you all right?" Newt asked, pressing down on her hair gently.

"Home," she whispered. "I want home."