thirty-five

Newt, Theseus and Niya, Tina with Jacob, and Kama with Nagini all Disapparated out of the amphitheater

Newt, Theseus and Niya, Tina with Jacob, and Kama with Nagini all Disapparated out of the amphitheater. The blue fire pursued them as they appeared in the cemetery. They were all covered in burns and soot. Flamel arrived on the scene as the cemetery was on the verge of destruction. The fire Grindelwald unleashed was out of control. It formed dragon-like creatures, bent on annihilation.

"Together!" Flamel shouted. "In a circle, your wand into the earth, or all Paris will be lost!"

Newt, Theseus, Niya, Tina, Kama, and Flamel stuck their wands into the earth, shouting simultaneously: "Finite!"

It took superhuman power to contain Grindelwald's demonic fire, but they fought against the flames. The group fought off the flames to their best, and at last, their purifying fire vanquished Grindelwald's fire back. The entrances to the underground lair were sealed. They saved the city.

Flamel was comforting Jacob, while Nagini sat alone in the darkness, broken-hearted. Newt shuffled over awkwardly to Theseus. He hesitated, struggling to find the correct words for what happened that night. Then, for the first time in his life, he wrapped his arms around his brother. Theseus hugged back. They continued to cherish the embrace before Newt pulled away.

"I've chosen my side," Newt said. Then, out of the corner and debris, the Niffler, hurt and scorched, hobbled over to Newt, who picked him up. "Come on. Yeah. No, you're okay." The Niffler was shivering, rubbing up against Newt.

Newt noticed Grindelwald's vial in its paws. He took the pendant, amazed. Newt tucked both the vial and the Niffler inside his coat before turning to Niya.

"I see you've been doing great," Newt commented.

She nodded. "Yes, your mother has been taking good care of me. Although, that wouldn't have been such a problem if one of you boys took me along." She glared at the brothers who simpered. "I can't believe you two have left me for almost five years! Theseus was engaged, so that's fine and dandy, but you, Newton, have no excuse."

His mouth gaped open. "B-But, Dumbledore - "

"Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's arse what Dumbledore wants. The next time any one of you goes on a little adventure, I am going with. Do you understand?"

The brothers nodded. She huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"That's what I thought."

Dumbledore was walking across the viaduct from Hogwarts toward Newt, Jacob, Tina, Theseus, Nagini, Kama, Travers, and assorted Aurors, who stood at the other end. Newt walked ahead with Bailey to meet Dumbledore. Travers moved forward to stop him, but Theseus stopped him.

"I think it's best if they speak to him alone," Theseus said.

Newt walked along toward Dumbledore. They met in the middle of the viaduct, across from each other and staring. Dumbledore realized that the one secret he kept was revealed by his once friend.

"Is it true about Leta?"

Newt nodded. "Yes."

"I'm so sorry."

"Credence..."

"That's correct. I was hoping that you would be able to save him from Grindelwald, but it is not your fault. If I had acted sooner, then it wouldn't have happened."

"And Neeki?" Newt asked. "You've let on more than you know. What does Grindelwald want with her?"

"I'm sure you've learned of where her parents' loyalties laid when they were alive. He's hoping she can be the same. He knows she hasn't performed magic in her whole life, but he wants to teach her - Dark Curses, I assume. And if she can't, she may just become a pawn in his game."

Newt nodded, pulling out the vial and causing Dumbledore to be entranced by it.

"It's a blood pact, isn't it?" Newt asked. "You swore not to fight each other."

Ashamed, Dumbledore nodded. "How in the name of Merlin did you manage to get - ?"

The Niffler poked its head out of Newt's jacket, sad to see the pendant go.

"Grindelwald doesn't seem to understand the nature of things he considers simple," Newt said.

Dumbledore raised his hands to show the Admonitors. Theseus raised his wand, the Admonitors falling from Dumbledore's wrists. The vial - blood troth - hung in the air between them.

"Can you destroy it?" Newt asked.

"Maybe... Maybe." Dumbledore looked down at the Niffler. "Would he like a cup of tea?"

They turned to walk back toward Hogwarts as the Niffler shimmied out of Newt's pocket. The Niffler began sniffing the ground and running around.

"He'll have some milk," Newt said. "Hide the teaspoons," he whispered.

The others walked slowly after them.