twenty-seven

They all successfully Apparated into Nicolas Flamel's house without any trouble

They all successfully Apparated into Nicolas Flamel's house without any trouble. The Zouwu enclosure in Newt's case was a wild Chinese habitat. Newt was curled up in a dense undergrowth. The Zouwu picked him up and dangled him from a claw. Neeki wasn't very comfortable with his tactics on breaking the chains off the Zouwu, but everything Newt did always work out without someone getting seriously injured - most of the time.

When he first tried to heal Neeki of her injuries, she had bitten his hand. After she was healed of her injuries, she still tried to bite him, but he learned from his past mistake and stayed away from her until she was ready. In the end, she allowed him to touch her.

Still dangling from the claw, Newt coaxed the Zouwu until he reached her harness and removed it. The chains lit up and burst. She was finally freed from her chains.

"You're all right," Newt whispered.

Neeki purred loudly and swished her tail back.

"You're welcome to play with her, Neeki," Newt said. "I'll be up there with Jacob and Tina."

Neeki straightened up. She transformed back into her human form. "No, I'll go with you."

"If you're certain."

She eagerly nodded and got up to her feet before climbing out of the case with Newt following after her.

"She's responded well to the Dittany. She was born to run, you see. I think she's just lacking in confidence," Newt explained as he popped out of the case.

"Have you got anything in your case that might help revive this man? I need to question him. I think he knows who Credence really is. The scars on his hand suggest an Unbreakable Vow," Tina explained.

Newt and Tina examined the unconscious Kama. Neeki didn't like how close the two were getting. If she needed to, she would pounce on her. Newt frisked his wand out as his other hand opened up Kama's eye.

"Lumos."

Newt and Tina stared into Kama's eye. There was a tiny flicker of a swiftly withdrawn tentacle. Neeki was loitering around Nicolas's house, eyeing the various items and potions he had around.

Tina gasped. "What was that?"

"There must be a water dragon in the sewer. They carry these parasites, you see. They... Jacob?" Newt called out.

"Yeah?"

"In my case, in the pocket there, you'll find a pair of tweezers."

"Tweezers?" Jacob questioned, not sure he heard correctly.

Newt nodded as he turned around to look at the chubby man. "They're thin and pointy - "

"Thin, little pointy things," Tina clarified.

Jacob sighed. "Yes, I know what tweezers are."

Newt turned back to Kama as Jacob handed him the tweezers. Neeki eyed the tweezers that Jacob held.

"You might not want to watch." Newt succeeded in catching and pulling at the tentacle in Kama's eye. "Come on. You're all right," he coaxed. "Jacob, will you take that for me?"

He extracted something like a spindly, waterborne spider, which he handed to Jacob. The parasite wiggled around as Jacob looked at it, appalled and ready to faint. Neeki wrinkled her nose in disgust as the parasite flailed around.

"Ew! Calamari," Jacob muttered.

Kama started muttering, but he was still unconscious. "I must kill him..."

Tina immediately perked up. "Who? Credence? Who - ?"

"It may take him a few hours to recover. The parasite's poison is quite strong," Newt advised.

"I'll have to go to the Ministry with what I've got," she declared. "It was nice to see you again, Mr. Scamander." She went to address Neeki, but after realizing they weren't close and she didn't know her last name, Tina chose to simply nod her head toward Neeki's way.

Tina strode from the room, leaving Flamel's house. Newt tapped his foot, then made up his mind.

"Come along, Neeki. Let's see to it that Tina doesn't get in trouble."

Neeki's nose flared at her name - something that Newt noticed. A gentle smile made way to his face.

"No need to be jealous, Neeki."

"Newt is mine," she muttered.

He sighed, knowing how possessive she could get. She hmphed before crossing her arms over her chest and looking away from Newt.

"Jacob, do us a favor and watch Kama, okay?" Newt asked.

Jacob nodded, saluting the two.

Newt grabbed Neeki's forearm and dragged her away, no matter hard she struggled. Newt was shy with everyone - even his own brother - but he had grown used to Neeki's antics.