nineteen

Even though Neeki had no recollection of her past, she understood why she was different from other people

Even though Neeki had no recollection of her past, she understood why she was different from other people. Everyone around her knew their past and how they were brought up as a child, except her. Although she didn't know Credence or understand complex things, she knew that she and Credence were the same.

It was harder for her to talk than it was to think. She thanked Newt every day of her life when she woke up in the mornings. He saved her from a cold life filled with loneliness in the afterlife. She would never admit it - because there was no reason for it to be brought up - but she cried a lot, whenever he wasn't around. She cried for many reasons - and she understood why she cried.

That was one of the first things Newt had ever taught her. He taught her what emotions were and how to be empathetic. Neeki cried because she didn't know what it was like to have parents. She cried even more because she didn't know how to properly thank Newt without stuttering or crying. Then, she would cry in frustration because she couldn't understand why Grindelwald or Graves had said those things to her.

Why had he called her Kayla Tarnovsky? To Neeki, she was simply Neeki, loyal friend to Newt Scamander.

She just wanted to understand. When she was living in Asia as a black panther, there weren't many worries in her life. All she needed to survive was food and water - until the poachers showed up. When Newt rescued her, she wanted to be set free again - to run in her fur and hunt down other animals to eat.

But now, she wanted to be normal. She wanted to be human. She watched the way Queenie, Jacob, and Tina behaved. They weren't like her. They weren't weird. Neeki wanted to be like them.

Neeki purred and rubbed her cheek against Newt's cheek. She kept rubbing her cheek down onto his neck and, eventually, shoved him off the bed. Newt groaned as his back hit the floor. Neeki peered over the bed at Newt with a playful grin on her face. She pounced on him and continued to rub against him, feeling herself warm up to his body heat.

"Good girl," he muttered.

She eventually stopped moving and curled up against him, allowing him to sleep. Once his breathing relaxed, Neeki slightly straightened up and simply watched her surroundings in the middle of the night.

She wasn't sure if Newt knew, but every night, she stayed up to make sure no intruders were near.