thirty-eight

When Neeki woke up, her head hurt immensely

When Neeki woke up, her head hurt immensely. It throbbed and she pressed her palm to the side of her head as if it would help.

"You've been asleep for a while now."

She peeked one eye open. "Queenie?"

"Hello, dear," she said softly.

The two stared at each other for a moment. While Queenie could see into Neeki's mind, Neeki could only guess how Queenie was feeling. The two were similar. They did what they had to do and left their loved ones in the past.

"Who am I, really? Am I Kayla or Neeki?" she softly asked.

"You're whoever you want to be," Queenie reassured.

"You are you," Grindelwald corrected as he walked into the room with Rosier and Aurelius trailing behind him. "I see your memories have been returned."

Neeki nodded. "They have."

"Must be a shock for you to see me after more than ten years," he said. "I understand this is a big move for you. You still have yet to comprehend how much you mean to our cause and me. Rosier will tend to any injuries you have, Queenie will provide food, and Aurelius will be your companion as I teach you two how to control your magic abilities."

Neeki nodded. "Thank you."

"I think that will be all. Shall you need anything, feel free to venture the castle. I will be recruiting more followers, so - I will be on my way now."

Grindelwald left the room without a single glance back.

"Do you have injuries?" Rosier asked.

"Just a headache," Neeki replied.

"Nothing a simple potion cannot fix. I will be back soon." Rosier walked out of the room after sending a knowing look to Queenie.

"Hungry, dear?" Queenie asked gently. "I could make you a pie."

Neeki smiled. "It's okay, Queenie. I'm not hungry at the moment."

Queenie smiled hesitantly and left the room. Aurelius cleared his throat, reaching into his coat pocket.

"Grindelwald told me to give you this."

He walked over to the edge of her bed and extended his hand. The baby Niffler was twisting and turning around in his palm. Neeki's eyes widened as she gingerly reached out and scooped the baby Niffler up.

"Is this - "

Aurelius shrugged. "He said you would know who it belongs to. I think it's a boy."

Neeki stared down at him. He stared up at her with his beady eyes, wiggling his nose and butt.

"I think I'll name him Newt."