Chapter 37 - Ambushed

Start from the beginning

"Shh", Michael drew her into a hug. "I thought I would die-" "Shh. I'm here. Everything will be alright. We'll get them. You won't go out alone anymore. We'll get you a new phone." Michael ran a hand through her hair. "We'll sell that flat of yours too while we are at it." "Why?", she sobbed. "Because it's in a dangerous neighbourhood and I'd rather you not take a 40 minute subway home. In the dark. Alone."

Michael looked up to me. "Go to the meeting for me. Represent it in my name. I'll drive Sara to the hospital." "Understood boss", I got up, not before rubbing her back reassuringly. "Keep me updated - please." Michael nodded, more concentrated on the devastated Sara, who was still shocked from the events. She was holding onto him for dear life and I felt my heart shatter as she started crying again.

I could tell the meeting would feel like an eternity. How could I think about stocks when I knew my best friends were suffering?

Michael's POV

The Hospital

I intently watched them check her, clean and bandage her wound, and listened to their recommendations on what she should do and how she should take of herself.

Sara was paler than pale in the end and visibly tired. She had cried non-stop on the way here and I could tell she would cry again any minute now.

I carefully kissed her on the lips, making sure we were alone in the hallway. "Let's get you home", I whispered softly to her. "I have to go to the toilet first", she tiredly leaned onto me. I helped her get there and once she went inside, my phone vibrated.

I pulled it out only to see the number of Eleanor's father. A bad feeling overcame me. Then a hot feeling dropped into my stomach like a heavy ball and my blood started boiling.

I immediately picked it up.

"Hello my dearest", the voice purred on the other line.

"Why did you do that?", I barked, trying my hardest not to yell into the phone.

"Do what?", she played innocent, putting on a sweet voice.

"You know exactly what - it has your name written all over it", I kicked a trash can next to me, imagining it was her and that stupid ex of hers. "You know what they did to her? You scarred her for life, are you happy now?"

"I didn't lay a finger on her", Eleanor huffed. "I don't know what you are talking about sweetie pie."

"Quit playing dumb", I snarled. "The moment I have proof it was you, I'm suing you out the fucking country. Mark. my. words."

I cut the line.

Sara stared at me as I looked back. "Do you really think ...?", her voice cracked. "Why do you even have her number?"

"I don't. She called me over her father's number", I went to my girlfriend and steadied her. "And I'm sure. One hundred percent sure. Why else would she call this perfectly timed?"

Sara went quiet, her head flopping onto my arm. "Michael ... if she was really the one responsible for it ... then she has my phone. Our pictures. Our text messages."

My heart dropped into my stomach. "Let's get you home. I'll call the police immediately."

Michael's POV

At home

Marie and Gerard gasped out loud as they saw my Sara, rushing to take her from my arms. Marie pressed her into a motherly embrace and she started sobbing all over again. My heart was crushed for the millionth time listening to her pained crying. I wish, I so, so wish, I could have caught those three guys in the act before they laid a hand on my girl. I wished Eleanor had never been born. I wished I would have been there instead of Nathaniel in her younger years.