CHAPTER TWO

Within the confines of the Warren Manor, I stood inside the office, a crystal glass of distilled Macallan in reserve

Within the confines of the Warren Manor, I stood inside the office, a crystal glass of distilled Macallan in reserve. Knelt before me, polishing the surface of my Hermès leather shoes, the respectable tailor. Nate secured a gold chain across my double-breasted waistcoat and clipped fine diamond cufflinks to the sleeves of my crisp white shirt. Threading a classic paisley navy tie along the seam of my upturned collar, he fastened an Eldridge knot and centred an Arabesque patterned tie bar.

Knocking back the remainder of whiskey, I passed the empty glass to Josh and turned for Brad to assist with my suit jacket. My men looked debonair in their ice-grey three-piece suits and satin navy ties. Boutonnières pinned to the lapel of their jackets. "Leave," I ordered, and the tailor nodded sharply, collecting his leather briefcase upon exit. "So, how do I look? Acceptable? Adequate?" I half-joked, moving to the floor-length mirror to admire my reflection. "Egotistically self-assured?" A crescendo of male laughter tugged a small smile to my lips. "Josh," I point to the box on the desk, "I bear gifts."

Exchanging puzzled glances, the three of my most trusted men set their drinks aside. Listening to instruction, Josh unclasped the box and whistled. "Patek," he said in disbelief, taking out an iced-gold watch. "Thank you, Sir."

"No gratitude from me," Brad muttered under his breath, clasping the watch around his wrist. "I am the best man. Mine should have more diamonds."

Nate refilled his glass with neat gin. "Shut up, Brad."

Flashing me a low, grateful smirk, Brad carried the other two watches over. "It'll do," he whispered, so the others didn't hear. "I assume this belongs to you." His eyes danced as he read the engraving, but he kept thoughts to himself. "Who's the fifth one for?"

It's a gift for Vincent. That's if he bothers to make an appearance. He's hiding from me. He hasn't answered my calls or text messages since the night he absconded Raymond Warren's estate. "What time does the car arrive?"

"Soon." Brad made a show of checking the time on his new watch. "Fifteen minutes to kill, men. I say, we shackle him and run for the hills before he throws his life away."

Suppressing a humoured grin, Josh sat on the edge of my desk. "Alexa will only hunt us down and slaughter him."

"She'd have to find him first." Brad gave me a pointed look. "Honestly, Bossman. I never thought I'd see the day. You, settling down with one bird. Not trying to overstep boundaries or whatever, but are you sure I can't talk you out of this madness?" His jovial banter had the desired effect. "Just imagine in five, ten years' time, when she's all wrinkled and boring in bed—"

"Quit annoying the boss, Brad." Nate handed the said man a double shot of whiskey. "Let's save the wisecracks for next week, huh?"

"Who spoke to Will?" I take a seat behind my desk to quickly scour files. "Is he aware of my absence next week? Has anyone systemised additional security for the Grape and Vine whilst I am away?"