The Flame Court

Flame and smoke. Iconic smells of Amberanian, the Flame court. Ones that I used to like but now...trapped under them, I think not. "Take my arm,"

I turn and give Val a blank expression. Val glares. "Don't play stupid. I know what you're like. Take. My. Arm."

I purse my lips. This is a mere annoyance. It could be worse. He could be dragging me. I take his arm. Along our walk, he blabs about things that are different, things that haven't changed and things that have moved, all from the time I was last here to now.

Each time his lips move, all I want to do is take my hand and slap him. Or punch. Punching works. But I hold myself back, just enough so my anger does not bubble through to the surface. I keep my head held high. A promise to get through the day.

After 10 minutes of walking, I'm led through a set of doors. An insignia of dancing flames falls into my field of view. It's everywhere, on the doors, tapestries, floors and even the guard's armour. A sight I'm sure I will tire of. Most definitely.

Inside the doors, Val and I are met with three males and a female. Ah, the familiar faces of Val's confidants. Bianca, the blonde high cheek-boned female was my first friend in Amberanian. That was until she and I had a falling out 8 years ago.

"Mari! It's good to see you again," Ward, the taller of the two dark-haired, almond-skinned males exclaims. Forgot he's the loud one of the brothers.

"And you," I half-heartedly smile. Bianca rolls her eyes. "Is there a problem Bianca?"

"Don't disrespect us now princess,"

"I'm not the one who started this," I growl back, ready to verbally engage Bianca. If anything she'll want to throw hands but word will have to do for now.

"Both of you behave!" Val turns to me. He sneers down his nose. "Mari you may be my betrothed, but that does not give you the right to aggravate Bianca,"

Val turns to Bianca with an even nastier sneer. "The same goes for you. You may be the captain of my guard, but that does not make you superior to my betrothed,"

I let out a low growl.

"Are you going to do anything other than growl?" Sol, the blond male, asks. Val opens his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it.

"Of course, I will,"

Ward and Chay let out bellowing laughs. They grin as they grab my arms. They drag me to what looks like Val's personal rooms. They push me inside and close the doors. A sharp click echo's around the room. I whirl around and slam my hands on the doors.

"NO! DON'T LOCK ME IN HERE." Please.
______

After what feels like hours the lock clicks again, and Bianca slips in. "What do you want?"

"I'm not here to fight," Bianca holds her hands up in the form of surrender. How unlike her. "all I want to do is talk,"

"You only want to talk?"

"I only want to talk," Bianca repeats, shifting closer to the door. Does she honestly think I'd attack her? I can barely throw a punch. Let alone punch properly.

"What afraid I'm gonna attack you?"

"No.."

"Then step closer," I say, taking a seat on Val's bed. Hesitantly Bianca takes a few steps closer. She shifts her feet, something she did when we were younger and she was nervous.

But why?

"I know we've had our differences in the past, but the second I saw you in the foyer today I knew..." Bianca swallows as if steadying herself to say something completely outrageous. Or out of character.