Family

Note: I tried my best in writing the out the adoption process, I apologize if it isn't accurate to the real life process.

~*~

Hinata and Komaeda quickly realized that the adoption process was both very lengthy as well as extremely difficult. It took months of personal record checks, home inspections, dozens of questions, and everything else you could possibly think of before they were finally able to have the opportunity to spend time with children at an orphanage.

The couple sat waiting at the entrance to the orphanage, Hinata twiddling his thumbs while Komaeda fiddled with his phone. They had been awaiting this moment for almost an entire year now; they had come this far and yet they still couldn't believe that they were this close to actually becoming parents.

Hinata glanced over at Komaeda, and grabbed a hold on his free hand, catching the other one's attention. "You nervous?" He asked, causing Komaeda to chuckle slightly. "Nervous is an understatement." Was his reply.

Hinata smiled, squeezing the pale hand in his in reassurance. "Don't worry, I'm sure it'll all be just fine. Just don't panic in front of the kids alright?" Komaeda nodded, feeling his worries calm down a bit just as a door swung open, revealing a young woman with kind eyes and a nice smile. "Mr. Hinata and Mr. Komaeda?" The two stood up and approached the women, hands still intertwined as she ushered them through the door.

"Around this time once every week, we gather all the children in the orphanage to play together while potential parents spend time with them. We only ask that you refrain from touching any of them, besides that you're both free to talk and play with them." she explained as they walked down a hallway with many doors. She came to a stop at the end of the hall, the chattering of children being audible from the other side of the double doors. "If you have any questions, I'll stand by this door if you need me."

The two men could only nod, the nerves finally catching up to them as they were unable to find their voices to speak. Hinata gave Komaeda's hand a light squeezed as he looked up at the taller one, trying to give him the best reassuring smile he could give. Komaeda smiled back, even though the nervousness was obvious on his face. With a deep breath, the two opened and stepped through the doors together.

The room was brightly lit and full of life as children of all ages ran around playing with one another. Some sat quietly in a corner reading books while others were focused on coloring or painting in character books. Eitherway, they all seemed too preoccupied to notice the two newcomers who had entered the room. Hinata glanced over to his husband, who had the definition of anxiety clear on his face. "T-there's a lot of them..." he said quietly, eyes wide as he gave the room a one-over.

Hinata gave a slight chuckle. "Of course there is, but don't get intimidated by it okay? Let's just say hi to them one by one, it'll be fine." Hinata said, and he didn't fail to notice the way Komaeda was clenching to his hand tighter now. Nonetheless, he nodded his head and headed for the nearest table of kids by the door, bringing Hinata along with him.

The two took their time talking and getting to know each child they encountered, talking about things like what they were doing or what they wanted to be when they grew up. It was... a bit bittersweet really, knowing that all these children didn't have parents. It reminded Komaeda too much of himself and when he lost his own parents....

He shook his head to clear himself of the thought. They had been here for a couple of hours now, and Hinata had excused himself to go to the bathroom, leaving Komaeda to his own devices. He wasn't really sure where to go now, and the thought of going to someone without Hinata made his stomach twist and turn.

It wasn't until he gave the room another one-over that he spotted someone neither he nor Hinata had talked to yet. A little girl with brown hair and clear blue eyes sat in the corner of the room by herself, stacking a bunch of alphabet blocks on top of each other. She was definitely among one of the younger children in the room, if he had to guess he would say she was either two or three.