Up the Hill - Drabble #5

"Come on Hajime, it's just up this hill!"

Hinata quickened his pace so that he could keep up with his white-haired fiancée as they made their way up the steep hill, Komaeda at the front leading away.

Hinata looked off into the side, looking at the vast field of wild flowers that seemed to spread for miles and miles ahead of them. "This place is beautiful Nagito..." Hinata said in awe to which Komaeda replied to with a small giggle.

"My parents always brought me here when I was little, they said it was our special place just for the three of us." The boy said those words as if he was recalling a distant memory, a hint of sadness in his voice. Hinata had the urge to grabbed his hand and squeeze it tightly.

Ever since his parents had died, Komaeda had made it a tradition to visit their grave every year on the day they were killed. He would go out for the entire day and not come back home until night time, sometimes even midnight. It was something that was extremely important to him, and Hinata knew that, so he would let him go alone so that he could have his alone time with his parents.

This year was different though.

Komaeda had insisted that Hinata come with him this time, and at first Hinata had declined. It was only after a bit of persuasion that Hinata finally agreed to come along.

Now here they were, standing at the top of the hill, breathless and slowly trying to regain their breath. Hinata looked up at the giant Sakura tree that had made its home at the top of the hill, its cherry blossom petals fluttering to the ground; leaving a blanket of pink petals everywhere.

His gaze shifted towards Komaeda, who stood in front of two gravestones, standing side by side to each other and located underneath the tree.

Hinata stood next to Komaeda, his eyes casting downwards at the graves. There was silence for a minute or two before Komaeda's voice broke through like sharp glass.

"Hello again mom and dad! I promised you two that I would bring Hajime along with me this year so that you two could finally meet him, and I did!" Komaeda said, his happy and cheery voice sounding out of place with the somber ambience.

Hinata bowed, trying to show respect towards Komaeda parents. "I-it's very nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs. Komaeda" Hinata stumbled while speaking, mostly because of how nervous he was feeling.

There was silence again, almost as if the two of them were expecting for a reply. When nothing but silence greeted them, Komaeda sighed and sat down hastily on the ground. Hinata sat down as well, hugging his legs and resting his chin on his knees like Komaeda was doing.

"You know, I really do think that they can hear me speaking to them," Komaeda spoke suddenly, "I just... wish they were here so that they could talk back to me, especially since all these years have passed."

His eyes watered, and stray tears went down his cheek. With his thumb, Hinata wiped them away, feeling hopeless in not knowing what to say to comfort him. He thought for a second, before taking a deep breath and saying, "I think that, if your parents could speak to you," he said softly, "they would say that they're proud of you for going through all of this without them, and that you grew up to be a wonderful person despite everything that has happened to you Nagito. They would say that they think you deserve every chance of happiness that comes your way, no matter what."

The pale boy looked at him, his eyes wide with new tears strumming down his face. Finally, he smiled at him, and began wiping away his tears with his jacket sleeve.

"... You really think they would say that?" Komaeda said, letting his hand get grabbed by Hinata and holding on to it tightly.

"I think they would definitely say that to you, and mean every word of it."