Promises - Drabble #12

"Do you have to go on vacation for 2 weeks? Can't you go for a week or something?"

Komaeda chuckled, it had been around the 6th time that day Hinata had asked the same question. "I'm afraid it's not my choice on how long we go for vacation for, Hinata-kun."

The two boys sat on the swings, kicking around at the dirt as the sun slowly began to set in the distance. Hinata sighed, putting a frown on his face before he jumped off the swing and kicked at the dirt once more.

"I know I know, but who am I supposed to play with for 2 weeks while your gone?"

"What about the other kids at the playground? I'm sure they're a lot more fun to play with compared to me."

"No, it's not the same, I have more fun playing with you than any of the other kids at the park Komaeda."

Komaeda jumped off the swing as well, looking down at ground as he approached Hinata. "Well then, I'll make a promise!"

Komaeda looked up at his friend, his usual carefree smile on his face as he raised up his pinky, confusing Hinata. "As soon as I come home from vacation, I'll come straight to the park, no unpacking, no eating, nothing! I'll come here and we can play until the sun goes down! You just have to wait for me, ok Hinata-kun?"

Hinata looked up at Komaeda, at the smile on his face that he wore every day, at his eyes that always seemed to shine even in its darkest moments. He then found himself smiling as well as he lifted his pinky and linked it with his best friends' awaiting one.

"Ok, it's a promise."

~~~~~~

That was the last conversation that 9-year-old Hinata had had with Komaeda before he'd left to go on his yearly family vacation to Jabberwock Island. As soon as two weeks had gone by, Hinata ran to the playground and waited for his best friend to come and tell him of his time there with his parents while they played on the monkey-bars or slid down the slides together.

Yet Komaeda never came to the park that day.

So Hinata went back the next day, waiting and hoping that he'd see the familiar mop of white hair on pale skin running towards him with the same smile on his face. But just like the day before, that never happened.

By now it had been a month since Komaeda had left, and Hinata was now the only kid in the park left, everyone else having been gone home some time ago. He sat on the swing, looking down at his feet and only occasionally looking up to look around for his friend.

After looking for what seemed like the 10th time in a minute, Hinata sighed and looked up at the sky. It was turning a lovely shade of blue, with only 2 visible stars next to each other. That was his sign to go home for the day.

Hinata frowned and stood up from the swings, looking down at his right pinky. "I guess some promises aren't meant to be kept huh?"

Feeling betrayed and a bit hurt, Hinata began making his way home, until he hear something.

He looked up, looking around his surroundings for where the noise was coming from. It seemed to be getting closer, until he was able to indicate what the sound was.

Is someone... crying?

Finally, Hinata looked behind him, and his eyes almost seemed to water at what he saw.

White fluffy hair.

Very small and slim figure.

Pale almost transparent skin.