record XVIII: apprivoise.

Evangelique ran as fast as she could, her prosthetic legs squeaking.

  She remembered Tsubaki telling her where he lived only a short while ago. It was in a part of Mumei known as Gladiolus Court, a neighborhood of small, Victorianesque cottages.

  When Eva had finally arrived at Gladiolus Court, she was quite winded. Snow began to fall softly to the ground, shimmering in the fluttering flames of the lamposts. She walked towards a cottage with the metal numbers, 1703, naled above it.

  Evangelique knocked nervously on the door.

  There was no answer, and she wondered if he was out rather than home. Eva knocked again. Shortly after, the door creaked open. Eva jumped back.

  Tsubaki stood in the doorway. He had loosely tied his hair back using a white ribbon and strands of hair dangled around his two usually hidden facial scars. He wore an oversized, white button-up shirt over a pair of grey slacks that fitted him nicely.

  "Are you okay...?" asked Tsubaki, tiredly.
  "I-I..." stuttered Eva. She felt her face warm up.
  "I apologize," said Tsubaki quickly. "That isn't very mannerly of me."

  He opened his door more and stood out of the way.

  "Please, come in," he gestured.
  "T-Thank you..." stuttered Eva. She walked in carefully, making sure she didn't let any snow enter the house.

  When she entered the compacted house, the first thing Evangelique saw was the small kitchen to her left. Flowers grew from the ceramic sink and vines hung from a large lantern that lit up the area. A beautiful china set was in the farthest corner of the kitchen, collecting dust.

  To her right was a neatly organized living room area, where two small violet and gold laced couches sat. In that same area sat two red velvet and cherrywood armchairs, both quite antique.
Just a few feet past the tiny kitchen was a large wooden table with seven chairs around it. Ivy grew around the legs of the table and upon the back wall, which had one long, curtained window. Only a few inches away from a chair on the left side of the dining room was closed door that most likely led to a pantry.

  Straight ahead, before the dining room, was a wooden door. Eva wondered if it led to a study or a small bedroom.

  "I'm sorry I've not properly dressed for guests," said Tsubaki.
  "That's alright!" exclaimed Eva. After all, I came by without letting you know..."
  "Thank you..." responded Tsubaki. "But, not to be rude..."

  He rubbed the back of his neck nervously and looked down at the wood floors.

  "Why are you here again?"

  Eva froze in foolishness. She didn't want to tell him about the strange vision she saw before, but she didn't want to lie to him either.

  "I just...wanted to see how you were today," stated Eva. She grinned nervously. Tsubaki stared at her for a moment.
  "I see..." his voice gentle. "Then, would you like some tea?"

  She thought for sure he would tell her he was alright and then send her on her way. Instead, he acted hospitably and welcomed her, despite how aloof he seemed.

  "I can't possibly do that!!" exclaimed Eva.
  "What do you mean?" asked Tsubaki.
  "I intruded on your home when you weren't expecting me!" replied Eva.
  "But you came to see how I was, despite the snowy weather outside," stated Tsubaki. "The least I can do is brew you some tea before you have to leave."

  Evangelique didn't know how to reply, other than with a common, "you-don't have-to-do-that". She sighed defeatedly and ceased arguing about it. She glumly puffed her cheeks up, just like a pouting child.