Chapter 51: Hyakki Yagyou

Hotarubi, a name that means the fireflies. A name that given because this land was once a heaven for fireflies. Every summer, every night of the seasons, thousands of glowing bugs parade over the forest, through the rivers and lakes, accompanied by the song of the cicada.

Today isn't such day. It's a cold winter, where they hibernate, and the night is lonely, however enchanting in beauty of the snow that blanket the world in white, where families and relatives gather together beside the fireplace, enjoying heartwarming soup with a refreshing cup of tea.

However, not all things that wonderful are friendly, just like the spirits that inhabit this very land. Youkai of any kinds, shapes and colors, from a mere trickster to demonic monsters, Kyoto, and the whole Japan by itself, is a morbidly wonderful spiritual realm.

And tonight, they parade through the whole Japan, where countless beings marches in night of one hundred demon, known as the hyakki yagyou, creating massive spectacle of utter pandemonium. The myth said that whoever foolish enough to go out to catch a glimpse of the festival, they'll be spirited away, worse even are killed, becoming feast for the horde, much like a meal in a dinner party for the monsters.

No one knows for sure how many creatures joined this carnival, but one thing for sure, they lead by one youkai called Nurarihyon, the elderly-looking wrinkled man with gourd-shaped head, gnome-like proportion dressed elegantly in silk kimono and night-colored robe. He, the leader of this parade, carried in luxurious palanquin as two muscular red-skinned oni walk in his stead; one behind and one in front of the carriage.

Nobody really know who is Nurarihyon, other than being known as the Supreme Commander of All Monsters for the yokai and alike. His presence and words brings them to obedience, and they respected him as their elder and leader. Nobody ever manage to bring him down, as his mere existence cause mortal to compel, and this jolly creature used this in advantage on pleasuring his lavish taste in tea and tobacco by visiting houses to houses while the inhabitant would have believed that he's the rightful owner of the place. He come and go politely, slipping in and out without making a fuss, even often have the house occupant to bid him farewell. Not until he leaves would they realized that they would realize that the old man is suspicious.

No one ever manage to stopped his yearly night parade either. They said, a special spiritual protection is necessary so that the citizen wouldn't be harmed by the monsters during the night, however it also said that only the head of an onmyouji clan is powerful enough to passed the festival unharmed. However the parade would keep on going, moving on cities to cities through Japan.

....Unless if they're stopped....

For hundreds of years, the onmyouji clans in Daisenkou have no obligation to stop the parade, as their duty is to protect the innocent, and only to punish the evil when necessary. However, with the prophecy of the great priestess, and the fact that they're happened to cross their territory, then perhaps this will finally be the day for the legendary youkai to fall.

Tomoko Masakura, the 17th successor of the Masakura clan, had requested assistance from Hessenstadt's special force, the Mirage of SPD, leaded by Fahmir and one of their captain, Reynold. This further fortified by 10 young generation of Mirage. Whatever monsters coming, they're ready.

"Gosh, look at that number..." Tybard stand atop the rock, as his team placed in one of the mountainous cliff at the north. "Think you should snipe the leader?" He asked to the golden-haired girl beside him.

"....Maybe? I mean, the last time we're doing 'snipe the leader' strategy on Balearic, it didn't end well." Melisa put her arms on her hips, observing the endless queue of monsters parading over the road. All the lantern and other source of light that they carried looks like a distant city light from miles away, almost like it's an endless traffic jam through a highway.