Chapter 2: In the Shadows

The two rushing through the corridors, to the warehouse behind their current building. It lead to an open field before entering warehouse area, as the building is on the back end of the road.

The detectives enter the warehouse to found nothing there. They slowly walk in, cautiously. "You sense that?" Said Noir, replied with Almer that nod calmly. A low rattling noises is heard in the room next door, separated by a border of a thin rolling door. Yet, an eerie humming can be heard from beyond.

"That was her... let's do it, Almer."  Noir prepare himself as he open the rolling door with his left hand. The small room there was dark, but light shower the area from the door that they open. In the corner, a figure seemingly a lady in old renaissance era is squatting down, hugging herself like she in fear.

As they look upon her, the lady slowly turn her neck around without moving her body, gazing to the stranger that seems to searching over her. Her face is pale, like a corpse that die long ago, but still untouched by the dead factor such as decomposition. Her stiff lips slowly move to a sinister grin.

As soon she start to smile, she rapidly move her figure to face the human, and lunge forward them in a haunting laugh. The two move back to the opening of the factory, dashing to the entrance. "We can't face her here, it may destroy the facilities around!" Said Almerich, replied quickly by Noir as they running away. "Don't worry, beside this factory is an open field and an abandoned building!"

Those two running to the field, as they jump into the wet grass field, filled with water from rain few hours ago. Their steps splash the water, but not for the lady. She fly toward the two like she was some bat, flight in night, screeching noises as she open her fang-filled mouth.

Almerich, stop running and turn back in instant. Seems to spell some word before he throw his palm to the face of his target, repelling her as an invisible force was pushing her and prevent her from passing. "It only work for a seconds, hurry up to the building there!!" Almerich run again as the specter stop chasing them temporary.

As the two enter the ruins, they rest as they catch their breath. "Been a while since we've been chased by a ghost..." Noir speak, then stop as he still tired by the long running. "An evil spirit.. probably Banshee..." Almerich speak too, his breath even more hardly worse than his partner. Physical activity is not his specialty anyway.

"I told you, it could be a ghost.. " Noir glance to his back, searching the lady that suppose to after them few minute ago. "Seems she lost us", He said. Almerich sit down, and try to analyze the fraction of information they got all that time.

"I don't think its her... There seems to be another culprit in the case, it must be. Spirits such as her did not interest in consuming living being, yet the internal organs of the victim is mutilated, possibly eaten." Almerich conclude his theory.

"A possible second culprit... Could it be that they worked along with the case?" Said Noir. "Possibly" Said Almerich. "Not all of those spirits and monsters have actual intelligent than their basic consciousness. However, they may aim a certain goal... or its all just a coincidence." Almerich reply again, finishing his theory.

Noir go out from the ruin, into an open area. "Anyway, we can't just leave a hostile spirit like her roam free, searching for another possible victim... You should finish her off while you can, Almer." The blue eyed boy look at the red eyed one, as he stand up.

"That's your duty, isn't it? Noir Thompson, the Phantom Blade?" Almerich tease his friend, mentioning his alias.

"Come on, your rank is S, while my rank is A. Its obvious who the better one to take the duty." Noir try to get some justification. Almerich walk around, replying while he observe around. "Rank did not determine the quality of an individual. Rank is used on the Phantasm, not the user. Plus, my Phantasm did not specialize to damage spirits, which mostly immune to physical contact."