Chapter 50: Daisenkou, the Firefly Shrine

Kyoto is an ancient city, and considered as one of the most important religious ground in Japan. Home of over 1500 temples and shrines where both Shinto and Buddhism coexist in harmony, the peaceful nature of Kyoto is serene with spiritual atmosphere. The traditional view of narrow stone streets, old wooden houses, monks in flowing robes prays, sound of gongs, all wrapped in backdrop of lush green hills. Here and there, the red gates called torii lies. Wooden art carved in many shapes, including statues. Large stones and trees decorated in ritualistic purifying ropes. Zen gardens, thick forest, calming ponds are common to see.

This strike a contrast against some of the more modern sectors of the city with concretes paved all over, busy highway replace the old, quiet mood as age changes. However many choose to remain in the old way, including those who secretly watch over the prefecture for generations.

The little tour of the SPD's Mirage unit is lead by Tomoko Masakura, the 17th successor of her clan, a clan of onmyouji; those who practice onmyoudo, a spiritual art, traditional Japanese esoteric cosmology in mixture of natural science and occultism based on the Chinese philosophies of Wu Xing, the five elements, then further amalgamate with the concept of and yin from Taoism, and influences by Buddhism, Shintoism and Confucianism. Their studies include astronomy, horology, and divination. The original, traditional practice is more of superstition in style reminiscent of feng shui, a Chinese metaphysic pseudoscience of using natural energy to harmonize with one's environment.

However, the onmyouji used here are not those. While their study and culture include such, the business right now is what makes them so important to the old era of Japanese, that the imperial court trust them: protecting society from evil spirit. Exorcism are their specialty, so does using what known as the shikigami to assist them on their task. And the clan of Masakura ia just one among many in the modern era of Japan that's in lead of the business.

The young onmyouji lady explain the basic of her clan, and the local history while they transit from the modern side to the more traditional, older, rural area. Along the way, the young generation of SPD can sightseeing the temples and shrines of Kyoto. Beautiful gardens can be seen through the distance, without them need to step inside, as their destination is something else.

Surrounding the town are mountains from many directions. The faint shade of dark green of the canopy in winter, shrouded in graceful white coat is stupendous, captivating sight. The snow wasn't this thick when they passed through the cities, but on this wilderness, far from civilization, the aspect of nature flows naturally without intervention of humanity. Only the distant temples and shrines seen through the snowy forest, with many of its inhabitant choose to meditate on the inside. Serene sound of gongs echoes against the howling cold winter wind.

The Mirage unit walk through the snowy path. It's getting pretty cold, as their breath puffs. Hard to believe that this is still not yet afternoon, and that the weather is pretty sunny.

Soon they reached a small field on top of a hill that can be accessed through staircases. There's a red torii gate at the end of the snowy field, with wooden plank set beside the gate, written in Japanese and many different language, including English:

"Sacred relic of Hotarubi Shrine, a protected heritage of Kyoto. Please do not vandalize or desecrate. Violation will be charged with vandalism and property damage."

The Mirage units observe the sign. As the warning written in many language, it clearly aimed for the non-Japanese as well.

"So this is the place....?" Noir asked, confused.

"I see nothing but the gate. What we suppose to..." Tybard about to ask, but Christine signal with her finger to be quiet. She heard something.

When they turn to the gate, Tomo seems to recite something. It was faint, barely could be heard, but soon it does. A tingling chime also heard, like the sounds of bells. The space between the gate begin to distort, as if it's a rippling surface of calm water. Soon the ripple becomes clearer, brighter, until a bright bluish portal formed.