XXVIII. Heart Struck

Start from the beginning

"Don't you know an awful lot?" Guinevere flatly remarked.

"Oh, believe me, I do. I was the one who personally saw it all happen. It is normal for the mastermind, after all, to ensure that their plans follow out smoothly."

Guinevere was incredibly still. She finally said, "Richter, I'm sure you know that there are alternatives in becoming next head."

Cordelia blinked.

"Ah, yes," Richter replied. "I did consider your mother, but, as stubborn her nature can get, she wasn't very cooperative. That brother of mine was also interested in her, so I disregarded that possibility to, rather pleasurably, watch him fail in advancement."

Guinevere smiled icily. "I don't think my mother found him attractive when he raped his cousin and treated his wives and sons like lab rats."

Richter chuckled. "Indeed."

"Though, another alterative you can contemplate on—" Guinevere examined the dagger that glinted under the light. "—would be none other than myself."

The temperature in the room instantly plummeted. Guinevere felt the heavy, seething gazes on her and, oddly enough, had to supress herself from flinching.

Interest rippled in Richter's eyes. "Are you implying that I have to completely get rid of that aunt of yours?"

Cordelia barked a laugh as she stumbled back. Her forehead was glistening with sweat.

"F-Foolish girl!" She pointed with a shaky finger. "Killing me comes with the cost of this girl's life! Stop being juvenile when your mother was the one who chose to take her own—"

In a bat of an eye, Guinevere turned to face her. Cordelia then felt a cool, sharp slash across her cheek, followed by a stinging sensation and warm liquid that dripped down her numb face. A metallic scent hit her nose before she blacked out.

Vibrant green was replaced with red eyes, wide and trembling as they met silver ones that brimmed with detestation.

"Guinevere?" A shaken Yui asked.

Shock ran through Guinevere's face. She stared, the dagger held limply by her side. A drop of sweet blood soaked onto the carpet.

Behind her, Richter had lifted a sword above his head.

"Guinevere!" Kanato roared.

Guinevere spun around just as a loud clang reached her ears. She found herself staring at a slender back and bright, red hair.

"Snap out of it, woman," Ayato said before he violently slashed his sword, driving Richter back as he nearly cut his uncle open.

In one, smooth motion, Guinevere scooped Yui in her arms and jumped from the dark-coloured railing. She tuned out Yui's screams, landing gently on the floor as her gown elegantly billowed around her.

She placed Yui on her feet and wiped the blood off the girl's cheek with a thumb. Her brows creased, her eyes filled with guilt.

"I am sorry. I shall explain myself later," she quietly said. She then looked at the fine males in front of her.

"Oh, dear, aren't you lot quite moody today," she said.

"What the fuck were you thinking?!" Subaru exclaimed.

"I apologise. My temper got the best of me."

"I wasn't talking about—"

Guinevere held up a hand. "Don't worry. I had no intentions of allowing him to be the next head in the first place." She found her gaze wander towards Ayato once again, just as he thrusted his blade at Richter, who smoothly deflected it. "I think he knew that as well, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to take my head just now."