Taking part in competitions is naturally for winning a place, and is also a kind of tempering. All music students would constantly participate in all kinds of competitions of all sizes. But Hai Weixiu had asked him such a question, so what he wanted to hear was of course not these obvious answers.

“I don’t know.” Jing Yang responded.

“Because I hate those Dawatt School old fogies.”

“Er…I do know that.” Or he should say, everyone knew that Hai Weixiu did not like the Dawatt School.

The Dawatt School was also known as the classical music conservative faction. This faction of people was extremely dedicated to stubbornly pursuing the performance of skill and technique, and moreover believed that rhythm and interval should all be played strictly following the score, and the appearance of any bit of difference would all be mistakes.

Regarding these strict requirements of orthodoxy, the skills and technique are able to be shown, but this kind of music still seemed very rigid and lacking any feeling.

Hai Weixiu had previously criticized in public many times the rigid performance of the Dawatt School. Making music lose feelings, music that lacks feelings was just like dead water that couldn’t flow—as time went on, it would emit a sour stench that disgusted people.

But what was strange was that even though everyone knew he hated the Dawatt faction, everyone also knew that when he was in his teens, he had won first place three times in a row in the Dawatt Piano Skill Competition.

“When you want to criticize something you dislike, you must at the very least prove that you can do it very well, and it’s only that you are not willing to go do it. I criticize you, because I think you are inferior, not because I can’t achieve what you want.” Hai Weixiu turned his head and raised Jing Yang’s chin. “You are my first student, so when you go participate in a competition, you will represent me to a certain extent. Those old fogies have been scolded by me for so many years and have been waiting all this time for a chance to scold me back, so you must get first place and block their mouths. Only then can I continue to scold them.”

Black lines appeared on Jing Yang’s face. In his heart he thought, I had thought that even though your personality is not that good, but at least you should have been a relatively proper musician, I never thought that your purpose for pursuing music was in order to scold people?

“I feel, would they deliberately not let me get first place no matter how well I perform because I am your student?” Jing Yang asked with some worry.

“Relax, even though they’re some old fogies, they’re still old fogies with great integrity. They’re not like me this kind of free-willed person, judging other people completely based on my own preferences.” Hai Weixiu responded earnestly.

Jing Yang looked at him speechlessly, it was his first time seeing someone saying that he had no integrity in such a bold and confidentmanner.

“Come, let’s start practicing.” Hai Weixiu stood up and extended his hand to Jing Yang.

~

In the following ten or so days, Jing Yang finally really felt how powerful this person hailed as the King of Music truly was. The skills that he taught him were things that other people might not be able to understand even for a lifetime.

Jing Yang slowly got used to the fact that he would stick very close to him to guide him: sometimes he would put his arms around him from behind his back when he was teaching him the correct fingering practice techniques, when he spoke his breath would blow right into his ears, and when he couldn’t resist trembling a bit, he would chuckle lightly in his ear.