Chapter 6- Unexpected Outcome

Chapter 5

I told Bella that Mallory and I were going to go to the amusement park together, without her. At first she was hurt, but then she agreed that it would be better is she didn't go. "I would have probably put on the skimpiest bikini ever and flirted with Mallory the whole time. It would make him so uncomfortable," she told me as we got our nails painted. She insisted I make my nails look pretty for what she called our Big Date. In the end we compromised with every nail, except for the ring finger nail, to be painted purple. The ring finger was a dark blue base with silver waves. Bella chickened out on her high lights, but I got a trim and got my bangs cut differently- side bangs.

Later, I was contemplating my outfit. I didn't want to dress up and make it seem like we were on a date (also, I would have had to take off all my makeup and fancy clothes if I dressed up). I didn't want to dress super casual, though, because I actually wanted to look good for Mallory. I gave up when I couldn't decide even after hours at staring at my wardrobe.

When Mallory saw me on Monday, he said I looked beautiful, but he complained when he saw my makeup. When I told him that I was only wearing waterproof eyeliner and mascara, he said, "That is makeup, genius." He begged me to go on all the roller coasters with him and when I got frazzled he would put his arm around me. It was weird at first, considering the fact that he may or may not like me, but then I just went with it after the third ride. I was having a really good time with him, but the nagging voice in my head told me I shouldn't let him hold me so close. I chose to ignore it because I didn't care about right and wrong.

After we ate lunch (paid by him) we decided to stroll around the entire park until we felt ready to take on another ride. He stopped after a while and bought Dippin' Dots. He offered me some and I smiled at his generous offer. Over at the water slides, I took off my shorts and cover-up shirt in front of him, revealing my simple, yet elegant black two-piece. He nodded his head in approval and said, "Hot!" I blushed like crazy at his comment.

I realized then that I wanted this to be a date.

Awkward.

After my revelation I let Mallory hold my hand from time to time. I felt so happy that he liked me and that I liked him because for the first time after my dad's death, I felt wanted. Yet, I still felt bad for letting this happen, even after Bella confessed over and over again that she still liked him. I need to talk to her about this. I am a HORRIBLE best friend.

When Mallory drove me home home that evening, I invited him in for a doughnut. (What? Doughnuts are awesome!) He obviously accepted and rushed inside. What I wasn't expecting was Josh to be home from work, along with Matt and little Will.

"Ah... So its true? You guys are really dating?" Matt asked as he paused that Rock Band 3 game. They followed into the kitchen and Josh asked, "So have you two kissed yet?" I nearly chocked on the doughnut and Mallory turned a bright shade of red. "Is this the guy that Bella went out with?" Will asked in that nasally voice. I nodded in response.

After we finished his doughnut we went outside to say our good-byes, without any brother(s) or neighbors to hear our every word. "Was this a date?" I asked, a little more frank than I intended.

"Uh...Do you want it to be?" He answered with a question and a blush on his face. I processed the question and now blushed myself. "I wouldn't mind," I said hardly above a whisper. He hugged me in relief. "Then it was," he said as held me to him. Our eyes locked, sending butterflies to my stomach. He brushed my hair back and kissed me softly. My heart slammed in my chest, but my mind wandered to Owen and his green eyes with gold flakes. Somewhere in the house I heard a wolf whistle. I jumped and turned my head to the window where the guys stood there watching us. Mallory kissed my cheek and said good bye, out of embarrassment. When I went back inside where I was pounded with questions.