Chapter 23- And So He Knows

Chapter 23

Owen's POV

“Dude, I heard she ran away but she made it seem like a kidnapping.”

“No, I heard she's been sent off to a boarding school against her will. The neighbors that called the police didn't know it was just a fight."

“Well, I heard that she was shipped off to an insane asylum because her family couldn't take her anymore. She was on a rampage that night!”

Talk of Ivy was inescapable. Two nights ago, the cops showed up at Ivy's house in the middle of the night and Ivy wasn't seen after that. In a town as small as this one, word spreads like wildfire.

Every second of not knowing where Ivy is adds so much to my already-heavy heart. I can feel my heart beat slower everyday she's not with me. I can't keep any food down, I can't concentrate, I can't fall asleep even with Emilie in my arms. When I do get a moment of sleep, I only dream about Ivy and her being locked up somewhere, tortured and starving. I hear her screams as if she were in front of me.

I need her to come home, wherever she is.

People began noticing my health decline, even though they never said anything about it. I could feel their stares behind my back, but I don't care. I need Ivy.

The sudden ringing of a bell brought me out of my thoughts. I was at school again. Yet another day without Ivy. Henry and Luis were saying something. What were they saying.? “You okay, man?” Henry said, “You seem kind of out of it. Something wrong?”

I forced myself to smile despite all the inner-turmoil I'd been feeling. “No, I'm good. I just have a lot of stress with this Alpha stuff I've got to do.”

Henry and Luis exchanged a glance. “So speaking of Alpha stuff,” Henry said nonchalantly, “Who do you think will be your Beta?” I was caught off guard with his question. “Me, right? Owen, we've been together since pre-school!”

“No way! It's me, right? I'm way more responsible than Henry!” Luis argued.

“I'm undecided,” I said tiredly.

“Well then what about Emilie?” Henry asked. I raised a brow. “I mean, no offense, but we don't really think she'll be a good Alpha Fema-”

I had him pinned against the nearest wall before he could finish his sentence. “Don't you ever say anything like that about Emilie again. She is my mate and you will obey her. Understood?” I let him go and faced Luis. “You got something to say, too?” He shook his head.

They backed away from me angrily. Alpha Tone wasn't something I liked to use on my friends, but this had to be the exception. Henry gave me a disgusted look, while the betrayal radiated off of him and Luis. “You've changed, man,” Henry said darkly, “You can forget about me being you second in command.”

“Yeah me too,” Luis added, “Don't think that just because Henry doesn't want to do it, I do.”

I laughed bitterly. “Cocky much? I never even wanted you two to be my Beta.”

I could feel Henry's temper flare. His eyes became darker, his fists clenched. I felt him trying to challenge me. I let a low growl to warn him of my power, but he still engaged. “Cocky? Owen, you of all people should know a thing or two about cocky. I mean, have you looked at yourself lately? Your presence screams arrogance! And just because you're the Alpha, it doesn't mean you can stomp over all of us!”

I noticed that a small crowd of humans and lycans had gathered around us. I turned back to Henry and found him shaking, as if he were having trouble containing his wolf. Bad time to shift, I told him though mind-link, but that only made him more mad.