Chapter 35

Kit's POV

Ming and I must have expended so much energy on each other that we had fallen asleep in happy exhaustion in each other's arms, not bothering to put our clothes back on.

We must have felt cold during the night and had placed ourselves under the bed cover in a half-asleep state.

By the time we woke up, a thin ray of sunlight was streaming through a small gap in the bedroom's drapes.

There was a brief knock on the door. Shit, in my indescribable excitement last night, I had forgotten to lock it.

Before I could climb out of bed to put my clothes on, the door opened and my parents walked in.

Ming and I instinctively pulled the bed covers up to our chins but not before my parents' eagle eyes had noticed that we were possibly stark naked under the covers.

My mother had a happy smile on her face while my dad had an unreadable expression.

After an awkward silence, my dad finally spoke up, addressing Ming directly.

"Mingkwan," he said in a stern voice, looking at Ming intently, "you do realize that I am capable of putting a shotgun against your head if you fail to make an honest man out of my son, right?"

Ming swallowed hard, nodding vigorously. After a few seconds he finally found his voice.

"Sir, I was actually planning to approach you this morning before I leave, to ask for your blessing to marry your son."

I looked from Ming to my dad, my eyes wide with disbelief. Was I actually hearing this conversation?

I kept slapping my right cheek to make sure that I was awake and not just having a lucid dream because everything looked and sounded so real.

Then suddenly, something dawned on me.

"Ming! You were going to ask my father first before asking me???" I asked in indignation.

"Son," my father intervened before Ming could even reply to me, "that is just the right thing to do. He has to ask me first before he asks you. And then if I say yes, there's no way you can say no."

I huffed, folding my arms across my chest angrily, letting the bed covers fall from my chin, forgetting for a second that my chest was bare.

Ming poked his index finger against the dimple on my cheek.

Against my will, I started to giggle.

"Both of you, come down to the breakfast room soon. Your mother and I will be waiting for you to join us," my dad said solemnly as he stepped out of the room.

I caught my mom giving Ming a sweet smile and a wink before following my dad out the door.