Chapter Eighteen

I woke up the next morning in excruciating pain. I sat up slowly before clenching my sides.

Cramps.

Great, my period is due today.

I checked the time on my phone quickly before getting up. It was 7am, meaning I had a full hour to get ready for school, thankfully.

I cannot wait to graduate, 17 days and counting, although I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do afterwards because I don't want to go to college just yet. I need some time. I need a break.

*****

I quickly got ready for school before saying goodbye to my dad then going out to my car.

I unlocked the door and opened it before throwing my bag onto the passenger seat then sliding in. I tried starting the engine and... nothing.

I tried again... nothing.

I turned the key one more time before groaning and hitting the steering wheel with my hand. I grabbed my bag and pulled the keys out of the ignition before getting out and locking my car. I sighed as I flung my bag over my shoulder while walking back inside. I quickly ran up the stairs before banging on the apartment door.

Moments later my dad appeared at the door.

"Dad, can you give me a lift to school?" I asked. He looked at me with confusion.

"And what's wrong with your car?" He sighed.

"It won't start." I said. "I don't know why to be honest." I explained. My dad nodded before grabbing his car keys, stepping outside and closing the door behind him.

*****

"I'll take a look at your car when I get home later, is that okay?" My dad asked, glancing over to me then back to the road as he focused.

"Okay, thanks." I replied, before unlocking my phone to read the messages I had been receiving from the unknown number. I read through each one before sighing, sinking into the seat.

"Have you had anymore texts from that unknown number?" 

I thought about it for a moment, I don't want to tell him because he would get even more protective and I can't have that. But I also don't want to lie to him because he would find out sooner or later. I sighed before replying, "No, I haven't, although I haven't been paying much attention to that lately." I felt sick just lying to him.

My dad stayed quiet for a moment, but then spoke. "I would like to talk to you about something," he said.

I looked over to him before speaking, "go on..." I pushed.

"How would you feel about moving?"

"What? Moving? No! I'm not moving from Manhattan!" I cried - literally.

"No, no, I mean how would you feel about moving from the apartment we are in right now, to a house?"

"And sell the apartment?" I asked.

"No, I will keep the apartment, maybe rent it out for a little while, until.." He paused.

"Until what?" I asked confusingly. 

He laughed a little before answering, "until you feel you are ready to live on your own. You can move there, and I'll stay at the house." He sighed, but with pride.

"That's actually a really good idea, dad. I think we should do it." I beamed, I've wanted to get out of the apartment into a bigger space for a while, but I know that when it comes to me moving out, I will want something like what we have now.