Chapter Two

I had quite a few DMs about this fic and it seems that a lot of you are looking forward to it already. Thank you for the support and for all the suggestions.

As I reach into my bag for my keys to look the front door I remember that I have training tonight. For the past 2 years or so since I turned 16, I have been training every fighting tactic possible with my cousin, Alec. He is 21, and has also been training since he was 16 so he is experinced which is why he trains me. Although I don't know why I'm doing this.

A week before my 16th birthday, my dad and I had a conversation about, and I quote "the dangers of life" and that I need to be prepared. I asked him when I'd ever need these 'skills' as he called them,  but the only reply I had was 'you'll know when it is time'. I told him that it would be unnecessary and to just give me pepper spray that I can keep in my bag like any normal dad would, but he was adamant that this was something important. Whenever I bring this up he seems to just change the topic which always makes my curiosity grow.

After locking my door, I place the keys back into my bag safely and pull out my phone to find an unread text that I'd received 10 minutes ago.

Unknown Number.

"Be careful."

What?

Why do I need to be careful? I quickly scan my surroundings as I make my way to my car. It is far too early to be reveiving mysterious texts from an unknown number although it's probably just my dad texting me off his friend's phone because his died. I relax as I sink into the leather seat of my car trying to focus on the day ahead, but my thoughts are elsewhere right now. 

I throw my phone onto the passenger seat next to me before starting the engine and heading to school. I get the feeling that today is going to be a long ass day.

The drive to school is only about 10 minutes but I didn't feel like walking today, I am too tired.

As I pull up to school, I notice my friend Rylee sitting on the wall by the school doors, with her head hung low I can tell that something is wrong. I quickly park as close to the entrance as possible before retrieving my phone from my seat and slinging my bag over my shoulders before locking the car and running to her.

"Hey" I greeted her with a small smile on my face.

"Hey Sierra" She sighed, flashing me a fake smile. Yes, my name is Destiny, but I have always hated that name so most people know me as Sierra, which is my middle name. My dad never calls me Sierra, so I have to put up with him calling me Destiny.

Rylee and I have been best friends since we started high school. When it comes to confiding in someone, I know I can talk to Ry because besides my dad, she is the only person who cares about me and I trust her a hell of a lot.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I sit next to her on the brick wall. "I know something is up, so tell me." I practically begged.

"They're fighting again" She sobbed as I pulled her in for a hug, trying to comfort her. She doesn't have to mention their names for me to know who she is talking about.

Her parents.

"You can stay at mine tonight if you want? You know you are always welcome. We can watch a few movies and talk. I think a catch up is needed" I tried to lighten the mood, knowing that something like this is just what Rylee needs right now.

"That sounds great. Thank you so much." She pulled me in closer for a hug, letting out the smile that I wanted to see.

"Don't thank me, I am always here." I smiled back.