7

Chapter Seven

Natsu Dragneel

I don't know about you, but when my day suddenly turns around for the better, the school day passes by in a blur. I could hardly remember what I did in each of my classes, because my mind kept tracing back to Gray's invitation.

So, by the time lunch rolled around, you could say I was somewhat giddy to see him again. I honestly didn't understand why I felt the need to be around him. I'm pretty lucky we've become friends so quickly. These past few weeks have been a lot more interesting with Gray- weekend strolls on the beach, doing homework together, chatting during lunch (mostly me talking, but he listens), and my favorite.

I'll pass Gray in the hallway, and I'll tap his shoulder two times with my first three fingers. Gray and I had previously made that code up so he would know it's me and not some mugger. Anyway, I'll tap him, and he denies it, but his face breaks out into a wide smile each and every time.

That stupidly contagious smile that makes you smile as well.

I entered the cafeteria, already spotting Gray in our usual booth. I smiled and crossed the room to go sit down. I tapped his shoulder twice and slid into the booth across from him.

"Where's your lunch?" I asked, opening my lunch box. I took out a roast beef, tomato, and lettuce sandwich and took a large bite.

Gray shrugged emotionlessly. "I'm not hungry."

I frowned mid-chew, and pushed my bag of chips towards him. "At least eat these chips," I persuaded, crinkling the bag for him to hear.

"Don't wanna," He shook his head.

"I don't get you," I rolled my eyes. "You're super hard to figure out."

"That's because I'm the mysterious new

guy," Gray teased with a smirk. "No one can even approach me without being intimidated."

"Right. You totally make me shake in my converse," I chuckled, taking another bite of my sandwich. "Ooh, scary."

Gray stuck out his tongue, annoyed that I stumped him, and turned his head away from me. "Whatever. You still have my jacket?"

I clenched the sides of his jacket (which, and I proudly admit, I've worn all morning) and wrapped it around me tighter. "Yes. And I'm not giving it back."

Gray gave me an obnoxious look. "You like it that much?"

It reminds me of you, I thought.

I pouted, sticking my lower lip out childishly. "Yeah," I admitted. Gray shut up after that, deciding to busy himself by opening the bag of chips.

The awkward pause doesn't last long, because next thing you know, Lucy comes by our table and stands there hesitantly, shooting side glances at Gray.

"Hey, Natsu! Hi, Gray. Do you guys mind if I eat with ya?" Lucy shook her lunchbox and smiled charmingly.

"Fine my me," I nodded, patting the seat next to me. "Gray?"

"Sure," He grunted. "Who are you?"

"It's L-Lucy," Lucy answered, not even getting the slightest bit impatient, but sounding skittish all the same. "I'm N-Natsu's friend." I heard her voice began to shake as she slid into the seat.

"I know," Gray stuffed a chip in his mouth. Frustrated at his blunt and rudeness, I kicked his shin. "Ow, who did that?"

"I did," I hissed. "Be nicer."