41

Chapter Forty-One

☆ Natsu Dragneel ☆

School is, in short, difficult.

Well, actually, school isn't short, either. Especially when you're dying to go see your boyfriend after only getting to spend about five minutes with him that morning. But you know... whatever.

It's always like this, I swear- staring at the clock, watching it meticulously tick by, squeezing my hands together nervously as I watched as Mr. Clive finished up the last of his statistical report explanation. Each second felt like an hour, each minute felt like a lifetime. My mind wandered as I wondered the probability of a teenager dying of boredom from math class.

My binder and note-taking supplies were already packed away into my backpack two minutes before the bell was scheduled to ring. I glanced over at Lucy, she had earbuds in and was texting who I predicted would be Loke. To my left, Gray's beanbag was empty. It served as a painful reminder for just why I was so antsy right now, and I turned my attention back to my phone clock. It flicked from 3:58 to 3:59. One minute left.

My mind was screaming a string of obscenities at the inanimate object, desperately ready for the clock to change again. When it did, my spirits lifted and I felt myself feel three times lighter. The glorious ring of the bell sounded and I took off like a rocket, forgetting to say goodbye to Lucy.

I fast-walked down the hallway and thundered down the staircase, located my locker and quickly twisted in my combination to grab the Japanese workbook I needed for homework, and bolted to my car before half the school population had even reached the end of their classrooms' corridors.

I barely remembered the ride to Gray's house, my mind was not in the proper place - which, looking back on it, was probably not the safest thing to do while driving at thirty-five miles per hour. I decided to stop at the grocery store, which was conveniently near his neighborhood, and picked up some chicken noodle soup. Soup is always good for when you're sick. I bounced impatiently on the balls of my feet while paying for the soup and then rushed back again to my car.

God, I should really join the track team or something. Ha, no. Running is lame.

When I parallel parked next to the curb by Gray's front lawn, I grabbed my backpack and the soup can and practically floated to Gray's front door. I rang the doorbell and was pleased to see Lyon was the one who answered the door.

"Natsu-kun!" He squealed when he saw me. I suddenly felt an attack on my legs, thanks to Lyon squeezing them in a seven-year-old-sized hug. I nearly toppled over - risking some sort of concussion - but held my balance by grabbing on to the door frame just in time.

"Hi, Lyon. I missed you!"

"Me too, Natsu-kun! I haven't seen you in, like, for-everrrrr!" He elongated the 'r' sound for dramatic effect.

"It's only been a week or so, Lyon," I chuckled at his adorable childness. Kids. I love them so much.

"Still," He pouted. "Come inside, we can make snow cones! Mommy says that when the weather gets warmer and it becomes summer, we'll be able to have them all the time. Hey, wait! Your name is Summer too! Do you like summer?" A/N: Natsu = Summer in Japanese.

"Yes! It's my favorite season!" I told him excitedly, following him inside. The house welcomed me on its own, the homey furniture and familiarity of it all made me feel content. We wandered into the living room, where I found a hilarious sight- Gray.

His hair was sticking up in all directions, even more unruly than usual, he was covered with a heavy blanket, and he was focused on a laptop screen. Well, actually, he wasn't very focused anymore, considering the fact that he had fallen asleep. I knelt down next to him and placed a tender kiss on his cheek, which felt warm to my touch. He mumbled something in his sleep and rolled the other way. I heard Lyon giggle softly, and I smiled as well.