43

Chapter Forty-Three

Natsu Dragneel

April 18th

The halls were filled with a cacophony of voices and several teenagers of grades nine through twelve, but it felt nothing but empty to me as I trudged down the main hallway of the school. The past two days have been rough, weird, and confusing. Was that what my life has come to? I thought, frustration painfully bubbling inside of my stomach. A giant conglomeration of not knowing what the hell was going on anymore?

Feeling crushed, I walked to the senior wing, clutching onto my backpack straps with a death grip. I didn't realize I was losing the circulation in my knuckles until my hands dropped to my sides when I found Gray at his locker. Like I was being dragged along by a string, I rushed to his side eagerly.

"Gray! You're back!" I said with so much relief and joy, hugging him awkwardly from the side. He didn't turn to hug me back.

"Yeah," He mumbled, staring into his locker, rummaging around for a textbook. He seemed intently focused on locating the right one.

"Where have you been?" I questioned. Gray hadn't contacted me in two days - yet another 48 hours of panicking and being the typical Natsu - and honestly, I was getting worried for him, completely dumbfounded as to what was really going on.

"Aunt Ur kept me home. Didn't want me going to school just yet," Gray explained monotonously. He seemed to find the proper textbook and tucked it under his arm, shutting his locker with his other hand. Avoiding eye contact still, much to my mild annoyance, he sighed. "Hey, I need to get to class."

"Oh, uh- okay," I managed to nod. "I'll se you at lunch then?" It came out as more of a question than a statement, almost like I was afraid to hear an answer. I didn't get one, though, because he had already brushed by me, walked down the hall, and was out of earshot.

He left me there alone by his locker, wondering what the hell had gotten into him.

- - - -

April 19th

The next day was going to be better, I told myself. It can go only up from here. Nevertheless, I didn't quite understand why we were at some sort of rock bottom in the first place. Did I do something wrong? Was he avoiding me on purpose?

I thought it would be in both of our best efforts for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to work out whatever was going on. I know Gray, he would tell me if something serious was happening. However, it's unusual for him to be this stoic- that was the old Gray. The rude, cold-hearted, blind Gray. He had changed since we grew closer. 

When I saw Gray by his locker, I continued to walk by without stopping to say hi. Maybe it would be best to give him some space, I mentally decided. Gray does always live in his head, after all.

I continued to head down the hall towards my Japanese class, head held high. If others saw me as strong and moving forward, maybe it would be just enough for me to find some of that fake strength and make it real.

April 21st

The weekend passed by slowly. My phone was always next to me, silent. Every couple minutes I would check to see if I got a message notification or from Gray, giving me some sort of hint of an explanation as to why his demeanor has switched all of a sudden.

Should I text him? I mentally debated. My thumbs rested, poised, in front of the send button. Why did it feel so wrong to just send a simple Hey to my boyfriend, the one I'm hopelessly in love with? What was holding me back?