16. Recon

His pale eyes danced with humor as he regarded me.

Lance smiled and held out his hand. "Since your mate isn't here, may I accompany you?"

Now technically speaking, if your mate wasn't present your father was supposed to accompany you. If you didn't have a mate, bachelor's were allowed to accompany you. But I did have a mate and I didn't have a father.

What Lance was offering was not justified in my society but nonetheless, I hooked my arm in his.

I really didn't care about the stares as Lance led me to the middle of the dance fall and after sometime, they seemed to not care as well. Which makes sense as soon we'd be fighting an impossible battle. One we'd likely lose but as Ariana Grande blased throughout the grandhall, worries were forgotten.

"So," Lance interrupted my train of thought. ", I wanted to ask you something."

I nodded as he moved his hands to my hips to sway them.

"Your mate...," He cleared his throats. ",why haven't you rejected him yet?"

Shock ran through me but I was expecting such a question. To be honest I had asked myself that question many times.

"I don't see the need to. We are already fighting in a war so what more of a rejection do I need?" I lied and laughed.

Truth being, I didn't want to reject him. For the same reason that I would wake up from erotic dreams in the middle of the night. For the same reason I would walk and feel prickles of power on the back of my neck.

Besides that, as a queen werewolf my connection to mate would be the strongest in the world as he/she would take their place beside her. But because he was a god, their connection was twice as strong as that which was impossible...until now.

It is because he was rejected The Moon Goddess spoke. When he rebuked my children, rightfully so, I wouldn't have him. He was the first to be rejected.

The first mate and rejected mate? I thought. I felt her nodding.

Lance nodded and allowed the silence to settle. That was until a crack filled the air. I waited for a pop but instead got a scream from Lance. I looked to see a hand on his now shattered shoulder.

My eyes widened as I looked who the arm was connected to. I couldn't look away as Michael threw Lance to the side. He quickly took his place but a lot closer. Fires raged throughout my body, spreading from his hands.

Manhattan relished in the feeling. She enjoyed having her mate close even though she had no contact with his. And I did to.

Though I didn't show it.

There was no music but they didn't stop him from waltzing him.

"What are you doing here?" I finally found my voice under all my distracting thoughts. "You clearly didn't come all this way to dance with me."

I couldn't see his face but I could feel him smirk. "Maybe I am here to dance with you or I could be doing recon."

I laughed inwardly, figuring as much. I was about to pull away when, "Hello Moon."

My eyes widened. How did he know?

Hello Fenris Moon answered almost immediately. I could feel Manhattan's heart breaking.

You've joined the fight for once. A gruff, powerful voice echoed in my head. Fenris.

You forced me out. I couldn't stand by any longer. Moon answered. Fenris laughed.

At least you know you were standing by.

I tried focusing on the inward discussion the two gods were having but Michael twirling me around threw me back to reality.

"Clio..." He mumbled against my neck. "You have no idea how long I've waited for you..."

"Hold it right there!" Someone shouted. Guards flooded the grand hall making a tight circle around us. "By the order of the queen, you are under arrest!"

But Michael's attention was still on me. "You ordered my arrest, baby?"

Baby

He didn't wait for my response as in a instance, he disappeared. The next thing to hit me was a splatter of warm liquid on my face.

Blood