Chapter 27- The Threat

Warning, there may be more mature scenes for some people! Just a heads up!

~~~

There was steam coming up from the water as I stood in it. My hair that went down to my shoulder blades was stretched out and it tickled the middle of my back below my elbows now. I stared down at my hands, lost in blank thoughts. The rest of the shampoo trickled down the sides of my head, dropping to the tub at my chin and going down the drain.

"Hailey?" a soft, gentle voice called out from the doorway.

Since the glass door to the shower was foggy, I couldn't see the person calling my name and neither could they. I heard a sigh and then there was a knock on the glass window.

"Are you okay?"

Slowly reaching out, I shut off the water. Turning around, I squeezed the water out of my hair and then rubbed my face.

"I'm fine, Keegan," I whispered.

There wasn't a reply and I looked at the shadow moving in front of the glass. When I saw them grab a towel, I smiled slightly.

Opening the door, I met Keegan in the middle and fell into him. He, expecting me to fall into him, wrapped me up in the towel. Hugging me with his muscular arms, Keegan brought me close to him and breathed into my hair.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Keegan questioned. "Ever since Logan has been gone, you seem....distant."

Moving my head so I could look up into Keegan's icy blue eyes, I smiled. "I'm fine I swear. Sure, I miss Logan and I'm having...," I paused, thinking how to put it, "withdrawals, but I'm fine. I can promise you that."

Keegan seemed to study me for a few more moments, but finally nodded. "Alright."

As I pulled away from him, I left him in the bathroom to go change. Putting on some comfortable gray shorts and a black tank top, I went to the window that overlooked a courtyard. Over the past week or so our makeshift base had become more of an actual base. I knew Keegan sensed something more than withdrawal in me because he came up and wrapped his arms around me from behind. Resting his head on my shoulder, I closed my eyes and leaned back on his.

"Please tell me what's troubling you," Keegan's breath was warm and minty.

Sighing, I closed my eyes. "It's just that I'm worried about more than just Logan. I'm worried about whether we will win or lose, how I'm going to protect the world, how I'm going to keep track of everyone. I'm scared truly," I whispered.

Keegan didn't reply and only sighed against my neck. "I don't know what to tell you, Hailey. Maybe just that everything will turn out fine in the end. Whatever happens, I'm going to be right next to you every step of the way. After the fear and pain I had to go through two days ago, I'm never going to let you out of my sight."

I laughed and turned to face him, putting my hands on his abs. "I'll promise you that I can take care of myself."

"I don't care," Keegan growled, making me giggle.

As we stood there in silence, Keegan seemed to be studying my face. Moving his thumb over my cheek, Keegan let out a soft whisper.

"So beautiful."

I leaned up to kiss him and he wrapped his arm around my waist. We both knew what we wanted.

Wrapping my legs around him, I cupped his cheeks and let his tongue enter my mouth. He spun around and walked until I was against the wall. Running my fingers through his dark brown-almost black-hair, I felt him run his hands under my shirt until he held my hips gently. Gasping, Keegan pulled away from me and rested his forehead against mine.