Chapter 23- Infiltration

"I wonder what's going to happen after this war," Keegan was saying as he put on his uniform. "I mean, if Rorke dies, there won't be anything else to attack us."

I was putting my boots on from inside the bathroom. "True." I didn't feel like talking a whole lot- I didn't need to.

Our mission was to go into one of the Federation's test labs. We would find out the hidden weaponry and, I felt, something more about my past.

"You ready?" Keegan knocked on the bathroom door.

Opening it, I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. There would be no hugs on the mission and- just in case this was the last- I decided to hug him now. Closing my eyes, I breathed in his scent slowly and then out again. It wasn't the cologne, but just something about him that smelled good; it was masculine.

"Everything will be okay, Hailey. I promise when we get out of this that you and I will be together forever. Okay?"

Nodding, I pulled away from Keegan and then smiled. He leaned down and then kissed my forehead. He followed me out to the armory where Hesh and Logan were loading up. Logan met my eyes for a few moments and then looked away just as quickly.

"You all ready?" I questioned.

"I got your gun ready for you, Commander," Hesh handed me a Honey Badger- my favorite weapon.

"Thank you," I paused. "And please don't call me that. I want to be treated the same by all three of you; just like before. Please."

"Of course," Keegan dipped his head- Logan and Hesh agreed.

~~~

"Hailey," Keegan's voice came in through radio in my ear. "We're in position."

"Copy, we are too," I replied.

I thought back to Merrick's training days. He had taught me the code words throughout the radios. Merrick had gotten me stronger physically, mentally, and even emotionally. That was what they would've done in Boot Camp anyways. I realized that Merrick had personally trained me in his own style of Boot Camp. It had been fun, in a way. He had lifted weights with me until I broke, he would talk down to me, but compliment me when I did something right. This, I realized, was something more than Boot Camp. Merrick had also been there for me when my mother had died. I had talked to him that night as if he was my own father.

"Hailey?" a knock on the door sounded and I didn't do anything.

"It's Merrick," he added. There was a long pause before his voice came out again; angered this time. "If you don't open this damn door right now, I'm coming in."

Finally getting up, I opened the door and sat back down on my bed. Merrick stormed in, but then softened his gaze when he saw my tears. Even a few hours after my mother's death, I was still crying. I had my arms wrapped around my knees and I looked down at my black socks.

"Oh Hailey," Merrick's voice was softer than silk. "I'm sorry. I really am. Your mother, well she, she was one of us. We loved her like our sister."

"I don't see you crying," my voice was almost a snarl and I sniffled.

"No," Merrick sat down slowly. "I'm crying on the inside, though."

"It's just because I'm weak isn't it?" I sniffled and wiped away some of the tears. "I'm just some weak girl who doesn't have any 'powers' or anything special!"

Merrick grabbed me suddenly and I gasped from the surprise. "Hailey, you better listen to me right now! You are strong- stronger than any of us! You haven't found our powers yet, that's why it seems as if you have none!"