Chapter 12- Heart and Soul

ONE YEAR LATER

With the knife in my hand, I stood with slightly bent knees. Next to me was a table with all sorts of different knives to be used. Behind me, I could hear Rorke speaking quietly with the Chinese General. The General had come to see my skills as a soldier, looking for a way to link our armies together and go against Americans.

"Go," Rorke snapped to me and I saw a target pop up in front of me.

Throwing my arm out and releasing the knife as I saw the target's head, I heard a clunk as the knife hit. Grabbing a handful of the knives on the table, I side-stepped to the left and threw the rest of the knives at the next targets.

"Damn," the Chinese General whispered, but I could hear it.

When I walked over to them after seeing I had hit every target in the head, I noticed Rorke was smiling proudly at me. Dismissing me, Rorke was talking quietly with the General when I went to take the knife out of the target heads. Turning back, I realized the Chinese General was already on the chopper to head back to his home.

"He's thinking about it," Rorke was gazing at the chopper through narrowed eyes when I walked up behind him.

"Thinking about it?" I said quietly and Rorke turned sharply to face me.

"Yes, Hailey."

As I watched him walk off, I narrowed my eyes. He always walked off unexpectedly, never trying to have a conversation with me. Over the past year, I had grown to hate the Ghosts, yet I still remembered them. And part of me felt like I belonged with them.

"Hailey?" I turned from watching Rorke to looking at my newest best friend Peter.

Like me, Peter was American. Rorke acted Federation, but was truly an ex-Ghost. He always told Peter and I the way the Ghosts had betrayed him- left him to be taken by the Federation. Hesh and Logan's dead father, Elias, had let him fall out of the crashed helicopter into rushing water below. Now Rorke swore that he would kill each and every one of the Ghosts.

"Yes, Peter?" I sighed.

"I just wanted to let you know that you're coming with me on the raid in the native village a few miles away from here. Rorke wants every American killed or captured, an order."

Laughing darkly, I shuffled up to Peter and ran my hand down his arm. "You speak as though you are actually a Russian, but you know you're American at heart."

"Are you saying that you are going to betray us?" Peter stepped back in horror.

"I can trust you to keep a secret right Peter?" I waited for a nod before continuing. "I don't know about this anymore. Rorke's big plans to destroy the American armies- especially the Ghosts- is bullshit. You think it too. I'm not saying I'm going back to the Ghosts, but if I get a chance in the raid, I will leave."

"Rorke will hunt you down," Peter said, more understanding now.

"So will the Ghosts, but you know that any of them can't catch me. Especially if I use my skills."

My skills had increased so much over the year that I was the best soldier in the Federation base. Stealth, master at throwing knives and sniping, and a few other things were my main skills. I could also shoot extremely well. One thing no one could ever beat me at was speed. I was fast and being flexible meant I could roll and duck quickly also. I knew moves like flipping over someone and breaking their necks- basically ninja moves- like the back of my hand. Honestly, with no bragging, I was deadly.

"Yes, I do know," Peter sighed. "I will admit that I will miss you, Hailey."

Titling my head, I wrapped my arms around Peter's neck and hugged him. "I'll miss you too."