Chapter 4- Mixed Signs

"To be a good help to us, you're going to need to know how to shoot a weapon," Merrick was talking to me two days after I'd arrived. "What do you think you're going to specialize in?"

"Um," I stopped as Merrick suddenly narrowed his eyes.

"Do not say um! Speak clearly and speak firmly. You cannot be tentative," Merrick commanded and I tried to not flinch at his loud voice.

"Yes, Sir," I dipped my head, silently pleading that Merrick wasn't going to hurt me.

"I won't hurt you, Hailey," Merrick put his hand on my shoulder. "I just don't want you to break down in battle. We need you-probably more than you need us. And don't call me Sir, I am Merrick."

"Okay, S-"

I stopped myself. Amusement glittered in Merrick's brown eyes and I saw a faint smile appear on his face. I smiled with him. He was definitely not mad, but only serious. I felt like that was only because he cared.

"I will most likely specialize in snipers, Merrick. I used to be very good at hunting with my father," I smiled slightly to the memories.

"Do you know how to clean them?"

"Yes."

"Take one apart?"

"Yep."

"How about-"

"Merrick, the supplies have been- oh, shit. Sorry," Keegan walked in, his mask not on.

My breath was almost taken away by Keegan's beauty and I quickly looked away from his tighter shirt, showing off muscles. I hoped Keegan nor Merrick noticed my movement.

"Very well, I'll be there in a moment," Merrick told Keegan, who nodded to him and then glanced to me with curiosity.

"I think you've had enough today," Merrick suddenly was serious again, his gaze darkening.

"But we've only gone over-"

"Hush, Hailey!" Merrick stopped me. "No complaining. If someone gives you a break, then you take it. Period."

Merrick had gone from a pretty nice guy to a mean Commander in seconds. What had I done? When he had looked into my eyes, had that been amusement or admiration?

"I just wanted to thank you," I mumbled and turned to leave to my room.

"This is Lieutenant Brooks, how may I help you?" a woman was saying in one of the computer rooms.

When I walked past her, she only dipped her head to me. Walking onwards down the hallway, I turned the corner to head to my room.

"Shit!" Hesh snapped as I tumbled over and fell against him. "What the hell girl?"

"Sorry," I stuttered and then became more fierce. "I just-I-I have a name you know!"

"Don't talk to one of your Commanding Officers like that," Hesh pushed me off of him and he slammed me into the wall with little force. "You wouldn't want to be kicked out now, would you?"

"I need to go to my room, you should let me go," I tried to move out of the way of Hesh's body. "Hesh!"

Putting his hand up to my left, I pressed against it as I tried to move away from him. Looking up his arm and to Hesh's face, I saw him sadden. Tilting my head, I blinked once. Putting my hand on his forearm next to my shoulder, I tried to look deeper into his green eyes. He was so hidden.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Nothing's the matter," Hesh snapped, his tone firm and annoyed. "If there was, I wouldn't tell a little child."

"First off," I squeezed Hesh's forearm, "I'm not a child. What's your problem anyways? You were fine yesterday and now you're being a complete jerk."

"I know you've fallen for me- don't deny it!" Hesh snapped. "I don't want to love anyone- not even you. What I said yesterday is a total lie, I haven't fallen for anyone and I sure as hell won't now! There's more important things to focus on, Hailey."

"Cool your jets, Hesh," I said calmly, "If you don't like me like that, then fine. I really don't care."

Secretly, a part of me twisted at my own words.

"I need to go," Hesh moved his arm away from my shoulder, but I still clung onto it. "Let go of my arm, Hailey."

Pausing, I looked one last time into Hesh's beautiful green eyes. Instead of having a sparkle inside, there was only hardness and anger. Slowly nodding, I gulped and let go of his arm. As he flung it away from me, I felt slightly hurt at his sudden attitude towards me.

Watching Hesh walk away, I narrowed my eyes. If he wanted to have that kind of relationship, then fine.

I could play that way too.