Chapter 5- Fire From The Inside

How are you liking it so far? I'm having trouble trying to figure out the love/hate relationship between Hesh and Hailey, like where it should go. If you have an idea, tell me in the comments or something. Alright, here we go with chapter 5. :)

~MS~

~~~

"Hailey come on out for some breakfast," Keegan pleaded to me yet once again.

I had not come out of my room for dinner the night before. Too much shock in too little time. First Merrick had acted weird on me, then Hesh had turned around and said that he didn't see me as anything more than a friend.

Fuck him, then.

"Please come out," I heard Keegan pause. "Hesh isn't here."

Keegan had been trying to get me out of my quarters for hours. I admired his patience and strength to keep up with my stubbornness.

Finally opening my door, I looked Keegan right in the eyes. Full of shock that I had opened the door so quickly, Keegan backed up a step. Seeing the fire lit in my eyes, he tilted his head.

"Please?" he asked again.

"Why should I?" I snapped, "You don't serve good food anyways. I'd rather starve."

Grinning with amusement in his eyes, Keegan grabbed my arm and pulled me out of my room. Closing my door, he started leading me down the hallway. I looked slightly up at him and wondered why he was grinning.

"You see, today there's waffles, eggs, donuts, apple juice, coffee- shall I go on?" Keegan said as he kept my arm tucked under his.

"No," I laughed, "Thank you."

"No problem," Keegan winked at me and released my arm when we entered the lunch room.

Merrick sat talking to Hesh and Logan quickly. When Hesh saw me, he quickly looked away and crossed his arms. Logan looked at me confused and then glanced at his brother. Looking down, Logan tried to not meet my gaze again. What had Hesh told him? And why had Keegan lied to me?

To get you out of the room, dumb-ass.

"I can make you two waffles if you want," Keegan stopped in front of me to tilt his head happily.

"No thanks," I didn't want to look like a baby, "I can do it myself."

"Alright," Keegan looked disapointed at my response, "I'll be with the other guys."

Walking to the separate room where the waffle-makers were, I grabbed the mixture that was already mixed to cook. Opening the waffle cooker- more like a carved skillet- I poured the mixture onto it. When the mixture spilled extra, I looked around to see if anyone had seen. Turning, I looked for a towel. The mixture was spreading around the counter even more now.

"Fuck," I mumbled, stumbling around to try and find a towel.

"Looking for this?" I turned to see Hesh holding a towel and leaning against the doorway.

Reaching for it, I rolled my eyes. Hesh quickly moved it out of my reach. Narrowing my eyes, I glanced back at the mixture now spilling down the edge of the counter. Turning to face Hesh again, I saw he had disappeared. When I heard a shuffling voice behind me, I quickly faced Hesh. He glared at me,

"Let me do it, if you can't even make the waffles, then sure enough you can't even clean them up," Hesh taunted me.

"Shut the hell up, Hesh," I knocked him off balance and then started to wipe down the counter with the towel.

"Oh no you don't!" Hesh took the towel from me and the towel flicked a few drops of waffle mixture on my face.

"Now look what you did!"

Hesh's eyes suddenly became soft. "I'm sorry, here let me wipe it off."

Before I could say anything or move, Hesh used a clean part of the towel to gently wipe off the waffle mixture. Looking up into his focused green gaze, I kept my eyes narrowed. His warm hand was holding the back of my head. I flinched to the touch.

"I thought-"

"Hey, love birds," I turned to see Keegan leaning at the door.

Anger pulsed through me when Keegan said "love birds"- meaning Hesh and I. Pulling away from me in a swift movement, Hesh faced him. I glared furiously at Keegan, clenching my fists.

"We're going on a mission. Get your gear packed and meet Merrick at the West gates in twenty," Keegan turned so he didn't have to see both of us and started walking off.

"Now's the time to prove your strength, little girl," Hesh taunted and shoved his way past me to go get ready.

I could only stand there.

My first mission was already here?