Chapter 25- Recovery Part 1

Hailey's presence was getting farther and farther away as Rorke dragged me behind him. My vision was blurry and pain went through my whole body in waves every time I moved another inch forwards- or backwards.

"Be strong son. I love you, I always have."

My father's words rung in my head and I groaned in pain again.

Be careful Hailey. Please keep sense and don't come after me.

I tried to speak to Hailey, but there was no reply.

~~~

Keegan's POV:

"She'll be okay," Hesh held my shoulder tightly.

We watched from the window in the room where Hailey had six doctors around her. Nurses worked around them quickly, but skillfully. My heart burned and ached with a mixture of hatred, sadness, and anger. I would kill Rorke if it was my last breath that did it. Logan was like a brother to me and Hailey, well, I loved her.

"Sir, we have facts on your brother," a man came up to speak to Hesh.

Hesh looked at where Hailey was being operated on and then to me. He seemed to eye me carefully before turning and sighing. "Save it for later, we have bigger problems right now."

"Go deal with Logan," I murmured, my throat dry from not talking for a while.

"He would want us to stay here and not worry about him," Hesh turned to look at Hailey again. "Logan may be younger than me, but he can take care of himself."

I met Hesh's gaze for a few moments and blinked in gratefulness. The last thing I needed was to be alone and think of Hailey. At least with someone I trusted and knew well, they could try to keep me calm. Right now, I wanted to go on one hell of a suicide mission and blow a hole through Rorke's head.

As a nurse came to the window, I met eyes with her. Her eyes, they were so....hopeless looking. It was like she could tell what was going to happen to Hailey and it put her in pain to see it happen. Putting my hands against the glass, I looked against the reflection of a mirror to see Hailey's wound. Right before the nurse rolled down the blinds, I saw something that made me want to explode into pieces of more pain.

Hailey's center was open. The spot the doctors seemed to be working on was right in between her ribs near the bottom. I would take a guess at about her core. Watching, I realized they were taking pieces of shards of a bullet out. Pressing my nose against the glass, I saw Hailey's fist clench against the blue sheets she was on.

~~~

Hailey's POV:

Blinking, I put my hand up to try to block bright light blinding me. This was where I had woken up many hours ago. At first it had been a desert, then a sandstorm, a snowy, blizzard-like place, and then the bright light. The light had been at the beginning and now it seemed to be happening again.

"Go towards the light, Hailey," the familiar voice of my father made me tilt my head.

Taking a step towards the light, I felt it get darker. As I walked forwards, it was as if I was walking through a tunnel to change to a different scenery. Suddenly I was in some sort of land with mountains. I was in an open valley with a waterfall on the other far side. To my left I saw small cottages and to my right were more buildings. There seemed to be some sort of course in the trees to strength you.

"Hailey!" I froze when I saw the person in front of me.

"M-Mom?" I stammered, clearing my throat.

"It's me, honey," she wrapped me up in her long, warm arms.

"I missed you so much!" I murmured into her clothes. When I pulled away, I added, "Where are we exactly?"