Coffee

Wrapped in my thin black robe, I cracked open my bathroom door and peeked around to see where Alastor was. I half expected my apartment to be empty, but he was sitting there on my couch with two coffees from the cafe down the street. I opened the door wider and came out to sit with him. 

"I thought you would have just left," I admitted out lout, taking the seat next to him.

Chuckling, Alastor replied as he handed me my coffee, "It takes more than a little puke to scare me off." Smiling, I  sipped at my coffee, savoring the raspberry mocha he had got me. It was delicious. 

We sat there for a long moment drinking our coffee and enjoying the silence. This was by far the best part of the entire night. 

"You were right," Alastor finally broke the quiet, "Memoirs of a Geisha  is a fantastic book."

"You can borrow my copy if you want to finish reading it." I offered, touched that he liked one of my favorite books. 

Smiling back at me, he said, "I would appreciate that. It was hard to put down." I laughed in agreement. 

"You know," I said quietly, "This is the first date, I've had since coming to Hell." Alastor cocked his head in amusement. 

"Really?" He asked, curious, "When was the last time you had been on a date?" 

"About a year before I died," I answered, taking a sip of my coffee, "Explains my awkwardness, doesn't it?"

Grinning, Alastor replied, "Actually, I thought your little awkwardness was quite charming. It's refreshing in this Hell hole." I almost choked on my coffee as I snorted with laughter.

"Was that...a pun?" I asked, trying to catch my breath. It was Alastor's turn to look sheepish. 

"Aww, don't be shy," I nudged him with my shoulder, "That was pretty damn cute." 

Smiling, our eyes met. It was the perfect moment, just like a scene out of my Harlequin romances. Alastor leaned in, and my eyes closed. His lips pressed against mine, soft and warm. He tasted like coffee and mint. His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me close to him. I found myself melting under his touch, leaning into his kiss.

Too soon, he broke the spell, and my eyes opened again. I looked up into his smiling face and felt a blush creeping into my cheeks. With a shock, I realized I was starting to fall for this mysterious demon.