Chapter 5: ~Money, money, money~

Start from the beginning

Lauren let out a frustrated scream, nearly punching a hole in the wall as she began to pace furiously. The scream signaled Camila to come out of her sister's room as she toddled over and yanked at Lauren's pants leg. "You okay Lolo?" Camila looked up at her upset sibling.

"No, I'm not okay," Lauren crouched down, not wanting to lie to her sister as they hugged.

"It'll be okay Lolo," Camila rubbed Lauren's back in the same manner as her sister has always done with her to make her feel better.

~~~~

"Brian, she told me herself that she wanted our money. How do we fight her?" Lauren paced across the lawyer's office.

"Lauren, we have a strong argument against her, you've witnessed what she truly acts like and from everything you've told me, I don't see how we can't win this case," Brian spoke truthfully. "And besides, Camila knows what she wants and she wants to stay with you." He glanced at the little girl who was playing with a stuffed bunny in front of him.

"You want to stay with me, right, nugget?" Lauren brushed her hand through Camila's locks

Camila looked up at her sister and nodded happily.

~~~~

The sisters were up early, knowing that the day would be hard. The girls had to go to court in order to fight for who will gain custody to Camila. Lauren dressed herself up in a professional manner, while Camila was put into a cute, little white dress. Lauren was worried that the court would cut into Camila's naptime so she packed the little one some toys and her favorite blankie in case she got restless.

They got to the courthouse, Lauren holding Camila on her hip. After checking in, a representative came and had to take Camila for the hearing but that only made Camila whimper and hold on to Lauren tighter. "Please Mila, it's only for a little while," Camila shook her head and with tears still falling from her eyes but ended up letting go and going with the lady.

Lauren sat with Brian at their bench, her heart was pounding fast, her leg moved up and down rapidly. Brian assured her that everything would be fine making her calm down a little more

"All rise for Judge Davis,"

Everyone stood as the Judge made his way to the front of the courthouse, waiting for him to take a seat before sitting back down.

The court session was long and grueling a lot of back and forth between Lauren's and Maria's Lawyers which was stressful for Lauren to comprehend.

Maria's Lawyer had the floor. "Your honour, Maria is wise beyond her years and is capable of taking care of sweet Camila," he paused for dramatic effect, while Lauren had the urge to roll her eyes at how grandiose he sounded. "Lauren is only a teenager, she's still in school and has a job she would not have time for her little sister anyway. My client would be better suited for taking care of Camila, thank you," the lawyer sent a grimacing glance at Lauren and Brian before taking a seat.

Lauren clenched her fists. She wanted to punch something but held in her composure. It was Brian's turn to take the floor and talk, her lawyer standing before the jury. "Your honour, Miss Jauregui has proved herself that she is a responsible guardian for her little sister and always puts Camila's needs first before her own. Camila doesn't even know her aunt nor did were they aware that their aunt existed. Camila trusts Lauren. It doesn't matter how old Lauren is, what matters is that my client knows Camila better than she knows herself and has been willing to take on the responsibilities since the deaths of their parents. Thank You," Brian went back to sit down and flashed a soft smile at the 18-year-old.

"Thank you for sharing, we will take a recess and come to a verdict," Judge Davis spoke before getting up and going to his office.

Lauren left the courtroom to grab a drink of water and to fight down her nerves. On her way back she bumped into Maria, a plastered smirk on her face. "My dear, Lauren. Honestly, with the way my lawyer and your lawyer have spoken about you might as well just drop this and hand Camila over to me," Maria said with a sickly sweet tone in her voice.

"I'm not going to let you take her," Lauren said loudly, clenching her teeth in anger. "Temper, temper. If you keep acting like that, you can kiss Camila goodbye. We'll see what the judge has to say about the matter." Maria retorted she turned her back and returned to the courtroom.

Lauren let out a grunt, walking back into the courthouse with a huff, taking her seat beside Brian. "You alright?" he asked, noticing how agitated the girl was. "Just peachy," Lauren bit back sarcastically. "Everything will be okay" he tried to reassure her. "I just want this to be over" she sighed.

Court resumed and Judge Davis came to a verdict. "Both sides have great statements. However, it is in the court's best interest for Miss Camila Jauregui to be under the guardianship of Ms. Maria Jauregui." Lauren went numb. A flurry of emotions swirled inside her. She wanted to cry, she wanted to wake up from this nightmare. It can't be true. "Brian, can't we do something?" "Lauren, my hands are tied, I-I'm sorry" he spoke sadly.

Lauren sat back as she watched her aunt relish in the victory.

>>>

Lauren took Camila home to grab her things. "Lolo? What doing?" Camila asked looking at Lauren as she pulled out a suitcase. Lauren didn't say anything and started gathering Camila's clothes and things. She was rattled with sadness and anger, tearing up as she packed her sisters items.

She finished and brought Camila's stuff to the door. "Lolo," the little girl said concerned if Lauren was ever going to speak but was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. It was Maria, ready to take Camila to her new home. "Okay come on kid, let's go," Maria said with impatience. "Lolo? What going on?" Lauren crouched in front of her sister.

"Mila, you have to go live with Maria for awhile" Lauren felt a lump grow in her throat.

"I no wanna live with her! I wanna stay wit you!" Camila started to run to her room, but Lauren had a hand on her before she could move "I know. nugget but it'll only be for a little while." Lauren hugged Camila tight, tears streaked her face.

"I no wanna weave!" Camila cried.

Lauren picked her up and handed her to Maria, making Camila cry louder for her big sister kicking and screaming as she was brought to the car and strapped into her car seat. Maria grabbed Camila's suitcase.

"You're not going to get away with this," Lauren spat.

"Oh, honey I think I already did," Maria gave Lauren a venomous stare before she retreated to her car.

"I'll find a way for Camila and I to be with each other again. You'll see!" Lauren yelled as Maria entered her vehicle.

"Good luck with that!" she laughed then drove off.

Lauren went back in the house, slamming the front door close as she fell to the floor, sobbing. This is the second time she's cried this hard, first for her parents, and now her sister.

And it was at this moment she felt she like she really did lose everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading!

Comment and vote

Suggest some ideas