Chapter 5: ~Money, money, money~

"Lauren, why are you calling?" Maria inquired.

"I think we should talk" Lauren spoke firmly, but on the inside, she was shaking.

"Of course, why don't I come over tomorrow? After all, I haven't seen my beautiful nieces in so long,"

Lauren bit her lip, feeling uneasy. But she knew this needed to be done. "sure"

"Perfect I'll be there at around 2? Is that alright?"

Lauren took a quick deep breath in and out.

"Okay,"

>>>

Lauren spent the morning straightening up the house, making sure Camila was distracted in her room watching a movie while doing so. Everything needed to be spotless, not a single thing out of place. She was descending the stairs, dressed presentably just as there was a knock on her door. Patting herself down, she made a beeline for the door, opening it to reveal a tall woman with dark brown, almost black hair, wearing a simple black jumpsuit and a grey cardigan over top. Needless to say, she was dressed to the nines, and Lauren felt almost intimidated.

"Hello, Lauren," Maria smiled.

Lauren took a breath. "Hi, Maria," she cleared her throat. "Please come in and make yourself comfortable," Maria walked in and looked around, soaking up her surroundings before taking a seat on the sofa, as did Lauren, who sat across from her. Lauren was skeptical, to say the least. She thought Maria looked nice, not like an evil demon who was trying to steal her sister away from her.

But that doesn't stop Lauren from sensing some tension between her and Maria.

"Look, I'm just gonna cut right to the chase, here." Lauren straightened her posture "Why are you trying to take Camila?"

Maria straightened out her posture as well, leaning over slightly to look Lauren dead in the eye. "Oh, Lauren, isn't it obvious? You're only 18, she's 3, she needs an adult to look after her and raised her."

Lauren's fists tightened, her jaw clenched. How dare she? "I don't know what kind of thoughts are running through your brain right now, but I'm responsible enough to take care of her," she said calmly.

Maria shook her head. "Lauren she needs a mother figure, someone, older and wiser" the woman replied condescendingly.

"She doesn't even know you! You're trying to break up the only family she knows!" Lauren barked in her defense.

"Lauren calm down. I can see why you're not the least bit responsible in raising Camila if this is how you're acting." Maria raised an eyebrow, a secret smile on her face.

Lauren was shocked by this woman's accusations as she slowly let her anger fade before asking "Tell me, are you in this for the money?" There was a pause from her so-called Aunt before she laughed.

"Oh, you mean the 1 million dollars?" She continued to laugh. "Why, of course I am! Wow, and here I thought you were smart," She stood up, the once sweet demeanor being replaced by something slightly more sinister. "Unfortunately, I'd have to deal with your pathetic, little sister. Once I do gain custody, you can live a free life," Maria's true colors came out, a smirk gracing her features.

"You fucking bitch-" Lauren cursed at Maria, wanting to punch the smirk off of her face.

"Language, young lady," Maria made her way to the door.

"You're not gonna get away with this!" Lauren yelled while standing up and maintaining eye contact with her aunt.

"We'll see about that. See you in court" Maria picked up her bag and left their house.