Chapter 25

~~~~~~

A sudden sting in my arm jolts me awake, my eyes wide open and focusing on the figure above me; my eyes dart around my surrounding, assuring me that I am in my room in the apartment allowing me to relax slightly and focus on Light once more. Light stands over me, pulling a needle out of my arm and capping the needle coated in my blood. My heart races, pumping blood rapidly through my body as I frown at the shot; I hate needles.

"What did you do?"

He grins and disposes of the needle of the trash beside my bed, his dark brown hair perfectly combed as if he hadn't crashed to the floor as he had in my memory. Ok, yeah, we'll pretend that's how we dispose of needles, Light. Idiot.

"I gave you a shot of adrenaline. It'll wear off soon, hopefully."

I roll my eyes and look around the pale walls of the empty room, well, excluding Light and myself that is.

"Where's Connor and Tyler?"

He smirks and takes a step back, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"They left to find our brothers without us."

"What!? Why are you smirking about this! They left us and now we're separated and that always seems to end so well for us and now we don't know where they are or how far behind we are. This is a bad bad thing!"

His smirk remains as I struggle to make the connection between the smirk and being left behind.

"Yeah, I'd normally agree with you, but they only left fifteen minutes ago. I knew the pancakes were off, so I spit them out in the bathroom, the ketamine hardly had a chance to settle in your blood."

I raise an eyebrow, the confusion still vivid as I search to understand what it is he is talking about and then it clicks.

"Then why did you ea- never mind. I get you. You needed them to think you had eaten the pancakes."

He grins and rubs my head, ruffling my silky brown locks and causing me to frown; I playfully smack his hand away and fix my hair, stroking it until I feel it is perfect once more, never mind anything about bedhead.

"Yeah, that's my sister!"

His grin widens as he reaches out his hands, taking mine in his and pulling me up gently while I settle for a frown. Imma just ignore the fact he could have been implying that I'm normally slow and assume he meant that he had expected me to figure out his reasoning.

"So, I believe we have some jerks to stalk. What do you say, sister dearest?"

Pushing my frown away, I grin and nod, accepting his help and standing on the light stained wood.

"I believe you are correct, brother dearest."

~~~~~~

Light and I crouch down behind dirt mounds just outside the research facility, waiting in anticipation and studying the guards' patterns. Connor and Tyler are just ahead of us and have yet to notice that their plan didn't work as we have been following them for literally the past two days and they never once have seemed to notice they were being followed. Lowkey, I'm beginning to doubt Connor's ability as a spy, just saying. We follow them around the facility and watch as Connor turns off the power generator while Tyler keeps watch. The whole facility shuts down and angry voice waft through the air and to my ears. Connor and Tyler push odd looking green tinted glasses onto their faces, most likely night vision.

They make their way along the wall and to a window; Tyler takes watch again while Connor wrenches the window open and climbs in, Tyler following shortly after. Checking the area for any guards, Light and I dart from our bushes, following them through the tiny window and into over whelming darkness. Blinking my eyes, I struggle to make out anything in the cool darkness. Light can apparently see better than me because he grabs my hand and leads me down the hallway towards somewhere. A hand roughly grabs my shoulder making me jump and the inferno spikes, ready to kill whatever it is. Gah! How hadn't I realized there was someone that close to me?