Twenty-Seven

I wrapped the last strand of my hair around the curler and ignored both of them. It's not like anything could happen before dad got there. It was his wedding after all. I let the hair fall to my side and unplugged the curler. I sprayed hair spray on it and started putting on my make up. When I finished I grabbed the hanger that had my dress hanging on it. It was a short, sleeveless, teal blue dress. I pulled it over my head and put on my high heels. I looked at myself in the mirror before walking downstairs.

There was a knock on the door and I went to answer it. Sam was standing on the other side wearing a suit and tie.

"You look handsome," I said.

"And you look beautiful as always," he told me. "Are you ready to go?"

"As ready as I'll ever be. Let's get this night over with," I said, hooking my arm through his.

***

We walked into the already packed church and found Zoe.

"You guys are late," she said, although she didn't seem to care that much.

"We know," I said. "I thought mom was coming."

Zoe shrugged. "I don't know. She said she was going to but I haven't seen her all day."

I was about to reply when dad walked by us. "Hi girls."

We waved to him and he took his place at the front of the alter.

"And where's Samantha?" Zoe asked. Samantha was Zoe and I's half sister.

"How should I know. I just got here," I shrugged.

"We're supposed to watch her though. You know that right."

"You're great babysitters," Sam told us.

"We can't be great babysitters if we were never given a baby to sit," I corrected.

Finally, the bridesmaids started walking down the aisle until finally music started playing and Amanda, my soon to be 25 year old step-mother, started walking down the aisle. As she passed Sam, Zoe, and me she gave us a smile.

***

30 minutes later and everything was over. The three of us filed out of the church pews and stood with a large group of people waiting to see the new couple. I didn't know who most of these people were but they seemed to know Zoe and I.

"Zoe!" Amanda's mother yelled, carring Sam. "Here. I wish I could stay but I have to leave." She handed Samantha to Zoe and gave me her diaper bag.

"I don't know anything about child care," Zoe whispered.

"Neither do I," I told her.

Finally dad and Amanda appeared in the crowd of people and walked over to us.

"You both look beautiful," Amanda said to Zoe and I. "And you look handsome," she told Sam.

"You look beautiful too, Amanda," we told her.

***

"Let's dance," Sam said holding out a hand. I took it and he pulled me onto the dance floor just as a slow song started to play.

"I'm not a good dancer," I told him as he pulled me close to him.

"You were on the dance team all 4 years of high school," he questioned.

"That was all choreographed though," I told him. We started spinning in a slow circle and I stepped on his foot. "See. I told you," I laughed.

"Just follow my lead. You'll be fine," he said.